Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #1 
Mistawasis

Unhappy Starting Over - Anyone with suggestions?

My betta died while I was on vacation (my friend was looking after him but I think she killed him...) anyway, I have to start over. I bought some cycle drops for a new aquarium set up. Is it safe to use the Cycle drops with my usual chlorine water treatment stuff?

I think the water that my old betta was in was way off on the drops etc and I want to be sure that this doens't happen again...

Does anyone have any suggestions with respect to starting from scratch?

Thanks!
Mistawasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #2 
DragonFish

I'm sorry about your loss :( Its always hard to find people who will take good care of your fish if your gone more then a week...

But, a fresh start is always good :) And its a wonderful excuse to go out and buy more deco xDD

Alright, so, first off....how large is your tank? Heated? Filtered?
I doubt the 'Cycle drops' will hurt anything, but they're probably useless. Even if your interested in cycling, most products like that simply don't do anything.

What kind of conditioner do you use? Most of the time a little extra doesn't do any harm....not that it really helps any more, but it shouldn't hurt anything.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #3 
Mistawasis

I have a 5 gallon tank, it is heated which sits at about 77 and it is not filtered. Is Cycling even necessary? Can I still put my new friend in the water without cycling? I use betta water conditioner, but I am thinking of switching to maybe the brand called....I think its called Aquafin or something like that. The conditioner I have now is made for smaller bowls and I don't think the porportions are accurate if I use such a small bottle.

I have 2 crowns on order, I want them to be safe!! I believe I will get more plants and stuff...I got this dinosaur head cave thing that Dixon loved hiding in...he was so pretty!

You can see my pic of him in my profile pic, he is a turquoise crown mmmhmm!
Old 03-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #4 
xxabc

Cycling - SO so so so necessary! Which is why some people go as far as fishless cycling - cycling without fish. Why? Because they don't want to harm the fish.

In super basic times, cycling means this: Getting ammonia and nitrates to zero. (And anybody correct me if I'm wrong).

Ammonia - comes from fish poop, waste, etc.

Nitrates - Result days after ammonia to remove the ammonia

Both are highly toxic to fish. Meaning, in higher doses (which EASILY results in not enough water changes), your fish die. So you want them both to zero, assuring your fish's safety. And cycling = getting them to zero.

If you don't cycle, or you can't manage to cycle, this means you must do water changes (for your size: ) every other day, 50%ish. If you cycle it, you only have to do 1 water change 50% per week.

Some fish are more tolerant than others. Bettas are quite hardy, but high ammonia and nitrates definitely affect their life span. Definitely.

Never used those products, but I hear they are worthless, since the bacteria in there are already dead. However, some people still have success with them, so i don't know. Are you going to divide the 5 gallon?
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

Ok.. OP.

1.. I really wouldn't put two crowns in a 5 gal.. I wouldn't divide it unless it is 6 gallons or more.
2... Don't put any additives into your tank except water dechlorinator.. thats all you really need.
3... unless you want to do 100% water changes ONCE A WEEK.. taking everything out including gravel and thoroughly rinsing it.. you should cycle.

There are two forms of cycling Fish In and Fishless. Both do basically the same thing in different ways. You add an ammonia source which causes a bacteria to grow that transforms the ammonia into NitrITE. Then another bacteria grows that transforms nitrite into NitrATE. Your tank is fully cycled when your *liquid* test kit is reading 0ppm Ammonia 0ppm NitriTE and 5-20ppm NitrATE. On average it takes 1-2 months to cycle.

Once you are cycled you only have to do 1 50% water change a week on a 5 gallon.. if you divide it you'll have to do 2 50% changes a week IMO.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #6 
xxabc

1fish2fish, i think that by 7 days after a water change is when the ammonia can REALLY get dangerous. Only what I think though. I would do 50-100% once or twice a week, with only a couple days between each change.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

A 5 gall with one fish is big enough that the ammonia shouldn't get dangerously high between 100% water changes. Its only when you are not doing full water changes and allowing ammonia to remain in the tank that the levels will rise quickly.

Doing 50% in an uncycled tank is very dangerous.. you are not removing all the ammonia.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #8 
xxabc

Alright, guess so. I was more afraid of the ammonia levels reaching a high point constantly rather than a low constant ammonia. Plus i realized what I just typed, and constant ammonia is pretty darn bad too. I'm just paranoid though, I want to see a 100% every few days, sorry 1f2f! hahaha.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #9 
Mistawasis

Yikes!

I hear so many different things! I read on the forums that dividing a 5 gallon tank was okay, but now i am reading different opinions. i was going to divide the tank...

Also, I did buy cycling drops, but if I have to cycle, I woudl rather do fish in. Only because my fish order comes in on Tuesday and I HAVE TO pick them up then. Crap...so what do I do guys? I need my tank ready for Tuesday! From what i have been reading, and perhaps I am misunderstanding, that I only had to treat my water then I coudl add the fish....

Is there anyway I can speed up the cycling? Or any treatments I can do to the water to reduce the ammonia etc?

Also, my friend has a tank with cycled water. Can I use some of this water to start my cycle?

Man I am such a noob :(
Old 03-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #10 
Mistawasis

Ok, so...cycling....I want to do with fish cycling and I want to know how to do that plus I want to know if it is safe to do 50% changes once a week with cycled water....*slaps forehead* man this is more complicated than I was hoping for...