Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #1 
mushux3

Male Betta

I have a male betta with two female ones' and he keeps approaching the females and opening his gills wide. Which makes the females run away, why is that ?
mushux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #2 
doubleatheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushux3 View Post
I have a male betta with two female ones' and he keeps approaching the females and opening his gills wide. Which makes the females run away, why is that ?
If your not breeding your Bettas the male should be in his own tank. Separate the male out into his own tank soon! (like tonight)

Check the Guide that is stickied at the top. I'm sure more knowledgeable members will post below me explaining why.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #3 
Jooleeah

Hes flaring. hes trying to either put on a show for the lovely ladies or hes telling them to gtfo. You should not have a male in with females, period. Things could start to get really violent. Get him a new home ASAP.
Jooleeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #4 
doggyhog

Separate them ASAP. Males and females should never be housed together, under any conditions.

I'd also separate the females because two females will fight also.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #5 
xxabc

Doggyhog's right, you shouldn't only keep two females. Always keep AT LEAST three.

Also, how big is your tank?
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #6 
mushux3

My tank is 2 gal.

If I were to breed when would I have to put them together?
mushux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would suggest doing a lotr of research before attempting breeding. It's not as easy as it seems. We have had members whose breeding attempts have ended in disaster when the male killed the female or vice versa.And these are people who did their research, too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #8 
xxabc

In a two gal, three bettas are definitely way, way, way too much. I'm pretty sure at least one betta will be severely injured or dead. That's overstocking right there...

I wouldn't even touch breeding yet. I've only had my bettas for a year, and I feel it's not enough. For me, I'd rather keep them for about a couple years before considering breeding.

What I know is: You need at LEAST 10 gallons. You must do it right. One thing can go haywire. Lots of money is involved. Lots of money is involved. Lots of jars are involved. Lots of space taken up is involved.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:44 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

I'm sorry but if you have to ask questions on a forum.. you are NOT ready to breed. I really care about these fish and someone who is breeding them needs to know how to do it responsibly.

Please separate your fish.. they each need a 2 gallon to themselves. Do NOT try to breed them until you know what you are doing and PLEASE don't breed pet store fish. Unless you have stock from a breeder and you know the genetics behind the fish AND you have a goal for your future fish AND you have the time and money to properly care for 100 fry who will need their own housing 1 to a tank or jar YOU SHOULD NOT BREED.

I'm sorry to be so frank but what you are doing is borderline animal abuse. Please research the proper way to care for bettas. Joining this forum was a great start.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:47 PM   #10 
doggyhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I'm sorry but if you have to ask questions on a forum.. you are NOT ready to breed. I really care about these fish and someone who is breeding them needs to know how to do it responsibly.

Please separate your fish.. they each need a 2 gallon to themselves. Do NOT try to breed them until you know what you are doing and PLEASE don't breed pet store fish. Unless you have stock from a breeder and you know the genetics behind the fish AND you have a goal for your future fish AND you have the time and money to properly care for 100 fry who will need their own housing 1 to a tank or jar YOU SHOULD NOT BREED.

I'm sorry to be so frank but what you are doing is borderline animal abuse. Please research the proper way to care for bettas. Joining this forum was a great start.
I totally and completely agree.

Please listen to all these people. You WILL find out the hard way that bettas shouldn't be housed together if you don't.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote