Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #1 
serenityroyal

Question My betta is still not eating! Help!

I've had my little fishy for one week. I bought him last friday...and he hasn't eaten since then. I put food in for him and he just ignores it. I don't know what to do. I don't want him to starve to death because he wouldn't eat.
serenityroyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

He could be getting used to his surroundings still. How big of a tank/bowl is he in? Do you have a heater?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #3 
serenityroyal

He's in about a 1 gallon tank, but it doesn't have a heater. I'm saving up to get him a five gallon tank so he can have more space.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #4 
JamieTron

He could be too cold, you could move him to your warmest room and try. Perhaps he also dislikes the type of food you gave him. Some bettas are picky, you could try seeing if he will eat other types
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

He ate when you first got him? How much and how often are you changing the water in the 1g tank? and when was the last water change, are you on city water, if so, did you use a dechlorinator in his water. What kind of food are you feeding, do you know what the water temp is in his tank? Did you remove the uneaten food?
Is this your first betta and do you need help understanding how to care for him and the water....we can help...just ask.......we all had a first betta and needed help......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #6 
serenityroyal

I changed the water yesterday, and I use tap water. Before I put him in the tank, I put a water conditioner in. I think he's a picky eater and that the water was too chilly. I put his tank in my bathroom, which is one of the warmest rooms in my house. He seemed to perk up after being in there all day. He did eat some blood worms, but not the pellets. Both are hikari brand betta food. I know the blood worms aren't the best food for him, but I don't think he likes the pellets.
I try to keep the water in his tank warmer, but I don't know if I should get him a heater. I don't want to boil my poor little fish with a big water heater, though I don't want to keep his tank in the bathroom.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #7 
BettaxFishxCrazy

You should put the water conditioner in before you put your fish in. Give it about 20 minutes before you put him in. Pellets need to be the staple food, bloodworms should only be used as a treat. Like with humans, you would love to eat junk food (bloodworms for bettas) but it's not good for you and you shouldn't have it all the time because it doesn't have any nutritional value. Keep giving him the pellets, he'll eventually figure out that it's his food and he'll eat it.

IMO there's no way to safely heat a 1G. We recommend at least 2Gs so you can safely heat the tank and they have plenty of room to swim and spread their long fins. When they're in cold water, they become lethargic and won't eat. You could get a heater that is pre-set to 78 degrees and shuts off when it gets at that temperature/ But, I would get a thermometer and keep a close eye on it.

Last edited by BettaxFishxCrazy; 03-13-2010 at 08:20 PM.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #8 
serenityroyal

I do put the conditioner in and then let the water warm up before I put my fish back in his tank, which probably takes about a half hour. I'm saving up to get him a bigger tank and a heater. Because I know a 1 gallon is way to small, but it was all I could afford at the moment. I'll keep putting the pellets in
Old 03-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Most dechlorinators work on contact and the water is safe, warmer water is best in the 78-80F range, there are 7.5w heater that will work on the 1g size tanks and will keep the water temp at 76-78F range, I have and use them on my 1g tanks without issues, I would like the water warmer in some cases but 76-78 works and the 7.5w will not over heat the 1g tank, I get mine at Dr foster and Smith on-line and I paid 10 or 12 dollars for it, however, in the 1g tank you need to watch the water quality really close, I made 2-3 50% water changes a week on mine before I changed it over to a NPT by using a cup and dipping half the water out and then replacing it with like temp declorinated water with one vacuum a week on the substrate.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #10 
serenityroyal

Alright. So far I've done about 25% water changes and my fish seems to be ok. I really think he wasn't eating because the water was too chilly...and he's really picky about his food. He ate this morning and seems to be doing ok. Though he's mad at me cus I had to put him back in the little cup from the pet store. Heading back to school today and it's easier to transport my fish in the cup then in the tank.