Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #1 
Herbicide

My poor betta Whale is vertical and very fat

My favorite betta, Whale, a beautiful mustard gas crowntail, is vertical in his tank with his tail clamped and his mouth just at the surface. His belly is very rounded, and although that's been a chronic problem with Whale, it seems to be really bad this time. I have been fasting him and feeding him peas for a couple weeks and I gave him an epsom salt bath. I've had him for over a year and I really don't want to lose him. He's my baby. Is there anything I can do at this point? I can't get him to eat any more peas. If I disturb him he swims around on the top of the tank very uncomfortably. Please help??
Herbicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Do you know how old he is?
I would lower the water level, turn off the light, turn off the filter, add IAL or oak leaves what ever kind you have to get the water amber colored, add 1tsp/gal of epsom salt and do 50% daily water changes, hold all food.

Make him a comfy and stress free environment....sadly it may be age and chronic health related problems and if he has had multi health problems since you have had him.....over a year and most likely he was at least 5-6 months old when you got him if you got him from box store, making him near 2 years old...sadly it may be end of life issues and the best thing to do is make him comfy...

What all have you treated him with and you say that he has always had a chronic problem with rounded belly, sometimes with chronic belly problems it can affect the duct that connects to the swim bladder, and lack of protein from long fast and peas can cause digestive and nutritional issues....

I am so sorry that your favorite fish is so sick and not getting better and sometimes no matter what we do can change age related and chronic health issues and sometime we need to think of what is best for our pet so they don't suffer....

Try the long term epsom salt 1tsp/gal and quite stress free with lights out even cover the tank with a towel, turn off the filter, hold the food, make a 50% water change as gentle as you can and if he perks up try to get some meat in him, mosquito larva, blood worms a tiny bit at a time...good luck.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #3 
Herbicide

Alright, I will try those things. I have already put him in a shallower container so he doesn't have to struggle to breathe. Thank you so much.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #4 
Herbicide

Unhappy

I lost him. But he's out of his suffering and swimming in fishie heaven now.
I'm going to bury him this afternoon.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss...sometimes these things happen......
Old 03-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #6 
Herbicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Sorry for your loss...sometimes these things happen......
Thank you. I know they do, but it was still hard losing my Whale. Starting when I was four, for about 15 years I had a fish tank, and I learned to not get to attached to fish, but when my betta that I kept in there (His name was Sidney Flame) died, I couldn't stop crying. I guess bettas just have a way of wiggling right into your heart.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #7 
bloo97

So Sorry
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

They sure do...and they are neat little fish with personalities all their own that become a true friend and pet......
Old 03-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #9 
JamieTron

RIP little guy
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #10 
Herbicide

Thank you everyone :/