Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #1 
Kyle14

stupid petsmart

So as I stated in my other thread, mine and my girlfriends betta died this morning. since she was sad we went out today and got another betta from Petsmart. we found a female that we really liked. from the stores view we saw that it had a dark body and really cool fins that fade from green to red. once we got her home and into her new home we turned the light on in the tank and noticed that our new fish has a few problems. one thing that we noticed was the darkness on her body was caused by the lack of scales on her body..kinda like she was in a fight. another major thing we noticed was that she is missing an eye. we have no clue how this could of happened since we just got her today but we are not to happy right now. we have decided to keep her since she would probably be given away again or just killed at Petsmart. we have the aquarium salt that we have added to the tank already but what else could we do that would be the best way to take care of the betta and help her heal better?
Kyle14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

It does sound like she was in a fight, with an eye missing and scales missing. Sometimes people think its cute to put 2 together in one cup. Grrrr! It sounds like you are doing everything for her, a nice, clean aquarium with salt in the water. I would keep an eye on her the next few days and if she gets worse then you can medicate her. Is she swimming around at all? She's very lucky to have someone taking such good care of her. You could have taken her back and gotten a more healthy one, but you didn't.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:28 AM   #3 
louu

I definately agree on the stupidity of those sorts of places ;) but even more so that she is a very very lucky girl!

The best of luck for you and your fishie she sounds very special! :)
louu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:45 AM   #4 
Neelie

ah she will recover, brighten up and she might even surprise you! dont underestimate her quite yet and betta are such personalities that looks are often secondary. and if you do breed sometime, injuries like that will not effect her spawn either
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #5 
Jupiter

Fish that have lost an eye still act like they have two! Lol. Hopefully she'll heal up in no time-you did a good thing rescuing her.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #6 
Herbicide

I HATE PETSMART.
I once bought a fish there that I knew was going to die because he'd been in the same dirty cup for months. I bought him just because I didn't want him to spend his entire sad life in a stupid miserable cup. I took him home and he happily lived out the last few months of his life in a big plastic tub I found for him.
I wouldn't encourage buying bettas from these places but I know we all want to do it.
Sorry your girl's so injured, I agree she's very lucky to have such caring owners!
Herbicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #7 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Awwwww... poor little girl.

It was nice of you to take her home and care for her. Good luck.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #8 
bloo97

Lucky Girl! She's in good hands...
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #9 
Kyle14

to our surprise the betta is doing very well. she is very active and loves swimming around in circles around her tank. i know this might be a stupid question but is there anything besides the aquarium salt that we can put in her tank that can help her grow her scales back or is that a permanent loss?
Kyle14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #10 
shards

you could try numerous things but im kinda holistic as you could say so i would put a indian almond leaf in there. it helped my friend because he used to fight and they would heal no problem( i dont do it its cruel)
shards is offline   Reply With Quote