Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2014, 11:58 PM   #1 
juliarenee995

Swollen Abdomen

I have had a beautiful male betta named Avenir for about a month. He has been very healthy, vibrant and active. His tank mate is a black mystery snail named Myriad, who has not been nearly as active. I realized that my snail was not getting enough to eat, so I started feeding it algae flakes. My problem is that Avenir appears to also be eating the algae flakes, and as a result has become very bloated. After doing some research and calling the pet store, i have determined that the best course of action was to remove Avenir and place him in a separate container, and fast him until the bloating goes down. I am already seeing some slight improvement. My question is, how can i make sure my snail is getting enough nutrients without allowing Avenir to become overfed?
juliarenee995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #2 
givemethatfish

I have bettas who eat the algae flakes and wafers too. They're pigs.

You could try feeding the snail at night when your betta is more likely to be asleep. Or you could get a little cup and feed the snail in the cup. Leave him in the tank with the cup floating and food in there for a little while each evening and then take the food back out. You can also culture algae - put some rocks in some water and place them in a covered container on a windowsill or somewhere with a lot of direct light. The fish is unlikely to try to pick algae off the rocks, but your snail will do it. I do the rock thing, and it works well.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloating, diet, feeding, illness, tank mates