Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Planted tank people!

If anyone has cuttings from their tanks that they would otherwise throw away I might be interested in them. Just plants that will propagate.. not trimmings please. I'm willing to pay for the shipping if its not too much. PM me if you have plants. I'm looking for mainly low light ones but I won't say no to others LOL.

I really want to get my tanks planted. I should be getting some plants tomorrow but I don't know how much he plans to give me. I'm very thankful he is giving me any.

I know I saw on some thread about people throwing away trimmings... I just hate to see them go to waste when people like me (and I'm sure other users) would love to take them.

If anyone else is in a situation like me and would like trimmings feel free to comment :). I know once I get my tanks going I would be willing to send out trimmings.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #2 
LisaC144

I just planted my tank pretty heavy. Give me a few months and I'd be more than happy to send some your way.
LisaC144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

Sure.. whenever you have extra just send me a note
Old 03-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #4 
Angel079

What tank size are you looking at to get planted? Cause you're not far from me at all so mialing plants would work great - Lemme set up the latest tank addition and see what all else has to get out of my tanks (hopefully then I'll still find this post lol)
Angel079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

I'm specifically looking for plants to go in my 10 gallon divided in half. But I also have a 3, 4, and now 6 gallon that I eventually want to all have plants in... I really don't care what types of plants but generally go for easy keepers... I don't have any CO2 setups right now.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #6 
Angel079

You don't need no CO2 system for no planted tank that's BS; look at mine here click each link to enlarge these tanks non of them revives CO2 nor fertilizers and I'd wanna have to say the pictures speak for themselves.
What you need is proper light and that's daylights rated around 6500 Kelvin and NOT too much wattage (it will melt your plants if too high).
Easy care plants then I suggest to NOT go for stem plants as these will requite trimming and spec these small tanks you're better up with
Different colored Cryptocoryne; Java Fern, Anubias, Small Sword (eg KLeiner Bar Sword); Dwarf Sagettaria or Dwarf Harigrass or Narrowleaf chain sword
You can see all the named plants in my tanks or look them up individually here; may be worth while browsing through there and see what you LIKE as well www.sweetaquatics.com
All the named plants would do well in a 10g or smaller set up. The benefits of having plants will be amazing your fish will feel much mre secure as this is more natural to them and you will have a much better water quality for them as plants act like mini bio filters
Old 03-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Thanks.. I'll look through that link. I've been reading up on plants for a while. I even went as far to switch the gravel out of my 10 for eco-complete.

About bulbs... right now I have just a 15w on my ten.. is that going to be enough.. I plan to save up and buy a daylight bulb (hopefully) this summer. I have to get one that fits the tank.

I just got what I believe is Dwarf Sag from my fish club along with two other plants that I don't know. One sort of looks like parsley IMO and the other looks like floating clover almost.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #8 
Angel079

What does your 10g hold a florescent tube or the screw ins? Good plant lights are cheapest found at Walmart/ Lowes/ Homedepot by brands like Phillips, GE or Bright effects (what you see here in my pic is bright effects) also here right now at Lowes for the screw in CFLs they have the Daylights on sale for like $8 for 6-pack so that would cover all your tanks Don't buy them at the pet store waaayyy too pricey there.

15w is a lil high already but still ok, if you were to switch it out I'd say get something lower then that.

Can't think of a "parsley" plant from the top my headjust post a picture if you want a ID from us
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #9 
doggyhog

Could the "Parsley" looking plant be water sprite or wisteria?

WS: http://www.aquabotanic.com/images/watersprite.JPG

WW: http://www.petsolutions.com/images/200/99753.jpg
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

Yup.. looks like water sprite to me. I can't post pictures now as the plants are just in bags (hoping they stay alive this week) so they wouldn't show up good. Any ideas on on the clover looking plant.. save me a google LOL

My 10 gall has a fluorescent tube. I'm actually surprised you say thats high? Its 1.5 wpg and everything I've read says that is on the low side. What can I put in there without having to switch hoods? I'm actually going by lowes tomorrow to pick up some CFLs so I'll look for the brands you recommend. My 4, 2 and 2.5 gallon tanks have/need screw ins so I'm getting CFLs for those. My two eclipse tanks have the eclipse lighting which I've heard is excellent for plants.