Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #1 
lilmonstafish777

Talking first fish nd tank... help pleeesse

im about to get my first fish but i need some help on what i need to get. would a 5 gallon tank be good??? what eles do i need?? any ideas anyone? i was HOPING to stay within $50 but i dont think thats gona happen. help me!!
lilmonstafish777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. A 5 gallon with a filter and heater would be good.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #3 
lilmonstafish777

thanks. what eles do u think i would need?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Some gravel or glass rocks, some plants and some decorations.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #5 
lilmonstafish777

thanks once again but just one more question... i wanted to house 1 male and 2 females in the 5 gallon. would that be large enough?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #6 
sandystar

Not in the slightest.

Males and females can't be housed in the same tank unless divided. 5 gallons is great for a male or a female but personally I wouldn't divide it. Just me though.

As for keeping two females together that is a no no as well. Females can be just as aggressive as males. You should keep at least 4 females in a 10 gallon ( 6 is better) so that way the aggression is spread out. 2 females its a one on one fight, 3 females two will gang up on one of them...etc.
sandystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #7 
lilmonstafish777

thanks and if anyone has anymore info they think i should know that would be great
Old 03-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Males and females should never be housed together except for breeding purposes only.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #9 
DragonFish

Yup, like the others said, Male+Female in a tank without a divider=BIG no no.

A divided 5 gallon is fine, some don't like the look, it doesn't bother me though. So long as your divider is nice and secure, you should be just fine.

Oh yeah, you'll want to cycle your tank. I suggest you do a Fishless Cycle(head over to google and search 'fishless cycle'), much easier then a fish-in.

And you'll want to pick up a liquid dropper test kit(stay FAR away from the strips), no matter what. Trust me, you'll need it ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

If you get the walmart kit you spend 30 on the 5 gallon tank and get a filter and a light. +12 for a heater and lets say 20 for gravel, plants, decor, your only like 10 above your budget.. and thats a conservative estimate.

Now I'm gonna tell you what I would do
-Walmart kit $30
-Heater ~$15
-Gravel ~$7-10
-Live Plants $20-30 (enough to give good cover)
-Driftwood $5-10 depending on size (I'd go with one bigish centerpiece)
-One Male or Female ~$4
-Liquid test kit with Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate tests at least $30
--- TOTAL: $130.. assuming you go max instead of min on my estimate.

Thats not covering food or aquarium salt.. but thats like another $5. The reason I'm telling you all this is that if you go all out in one foul swoop or just go little by little over a few months your probably going to end up spending about that much. The reason I say live plants versus silk is they cost less and if you do a little care they will grow like crazy they are really beneficial to your tank as well. You could nix the plants and driftwood and go with about $15 worth of silk plants and $5-15 of caves and other resin ornaments but you won't save that much.

I highly suggest you cycle. Fishless cycles are the easiest but you have to wait to get your fish (which is ok) you can also do a fish in cycle but it is VERY involved and you have to be willing to do testing and water changes daily. Please invest in a liquid test kit.. they are high priced but SO worth it. For example I have cycled 4 tanks (testing every day during each cycle), done weekly testing (2x a week) for the past 6 months and I STILL have tests left in that kit. It is definitely worth the money.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote