1.5 gal tank (upgrading to 10-15 gal within 2 months)
1 live plant
Mini Heater (water gets too 72)
1 male betta (Neekis) had him for 2 weeks
50% water change every 2-3 days
Just found out that my tap water has ammonia in it. (I had just done a 100% water change and tested it.) My tap water reads between .25 and .50ppm. I've tested my softened water, my hard water and my charcoal filtered water. All is the same. After I put the Tetra BettaSafe water conditioner, it's still the same. Nitrates and Nitrites are fine.
I picked up some bottled water (Ice Mtn Natual Spring) and there is no ammonia in it. But...the ph is between 6.0 and 6.4. Currently, Neekis is in about 7.5 ph. So I don't think I should use the bottled water either.
Bought some Tetra AmmoniaSafe, but after adding it to the water (premixed...not in the tank), it didn't seem to change the ammonia...in fact, it went higher. I did multiple tests, adding 3-4 drops of the AmmoniaSafe each time. I may continue to test, but this is driving me nuts!!!
Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do? I really would like a quick response, because I don't want Neekis to become ill. My 3 yr old would be CRUSHED!
Thank you sooo much in advance!