Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2010, 12:07 AM   #1 
sean87

Poor Beta Health

I purchased a dual betta tank with 2 bettas about a month ago. Recently I noticed that the one's fins are frayed and notably shorter than when it was bought and the other is very sluggish and pale looking and is always sitting on the gravel. Any ideas on why? I change the water roughly every week.
sean87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:14 AM   #2 
Min

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean87 View Post
I purchased a dual betta tank with 2 bettas about a month ago. Recently I noticed that the one's fins are frayed and notably shorter than when it was bought and the other is very sluggish and pale looking and is always sitting on the gravel. Any ideas on why? I change the water roughly every week.
What size is the tank? If its the one im thinking of its way to small. you could take the divider out & it would still be too small for one betta.
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:15 AM   #3 
xxabc

Don't take this harshly, but.

The dual tank - It's fairly small isn't it? About 1 gallon tops?

The shorter fins - He's probably tailbiting himself from either stress, bad water quality, boredom, or maybe all of them.

The sluggishness - sick, water quality (poor), temperature (too low), bored.

Those are my assumptions. And assuming it's one of the small size ones, you really really really should do water changes every day if you want to make it work.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:22 AM   #4 
Min

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
Don't take this harshly, but.

The dual tank - It's fairly small isn't it? About 1 gallon tops?

The shorter fins - He's probably tailbiting himself from either stress, bad water quality, boredom, or maybe all of them.

The sluggishness - sick, water quality (poor), temperature (too low), bored.

Those are my assumptions. And assuming it's one of the small size ones, you really really really should do water changes every day if you want to make it work.

I agree totally! If a larger tank Isnt possible water changes should be more often.
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:51 AM   #5 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Your ammonia level in one of those little tanks is probably sky high. You'd need to change most of the water every day in something that small. And sluggish could also mean that they're too cold.

Do yourself a favor and get a 5 gallon setup with a divider and a heater. Once your tank is cycled, then you only have to change approx 30% of the water each week.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #6 
xxabc

I completely forgot something - To the possible-tailbiting, it could also be fin rot. VERY common, especially in cases with very dirty and unclean water.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote