Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2010, 07:38 AM   #1 
karlhague

My new Male Betta!!!

Hey all, I went to my local LFS today, looked in the tank of guppies, and they had TWO male Bettas in together, I grabbed an assistant, Showed them, He went beserk with the other staff, asking why they were together.

He Gave me this little guy (see pic) ( as all the other tanks already had one Male in)

Let me know what u think ( i know is tails slightly ragged)
Attached Images

Last edited by karlhague; 08-29-2010 at 07:41 AM.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:42 AM   #2 
weluvbettas

He is gorgeous! I cant believe that they had them in the same tank!
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #3 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvbettas View Post
He is gorgeous! I cant believe that they had them in the same tank!
All The little Betta tanks air system broke during the week, The Staff just basically put them in with the other fish untill its fixed.

Unfortunatley their was him, and a rather Aggressive (white or Clear) Crowntail in with him.

They told me if i needed anything for this guy (meds/salt) to go back and get them from them and theyll cover the cost should it be needed.

I think hes a crowntail (not entirley sure), I belive he is between 4 and 6months.

As he was imported from a breeder in Thailand.

Last edited by karlhague; 08-29-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #4 
weluvbettas

he may be a crowntail or just a veiltail with badly ripped fins. too hard to tell from the pic . we need a flaring pic to make sure.
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #5 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvbettas View Post
he may be a crowntail or just a veiltail with badly ripped fins. too hard to tell from the pic . we need a flaring pic to make sure.
He is circling the tank, flaring everytime he stops at the min, so i will try get a flaring pic ,turned the light off as to not stress him out.

He was left in the bag for an hour to aclimatise,
Old 08-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #6 
Lion Mom

"He was left in the bag for an hour to aclimatise,"

I do NOT understand why people leave a fish in the bag for an HOUR!!! IMO/E the proper way to acclimate a fish is to float the bag for 15 minutes to equalize the temp in the bag and tank. Open the bag & add approx 1/4 cup of tank water to the bag. Wait 5 minutes, pour out some of the bag water and put another 1/4 cup of tank water into the bag. Repeat one or two more times and release the fish into the tank.

Good of you to take him home and get him out of a very bad situation & it is good of the store to offer you help with salt, meds, etc.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #7 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
"He was left in the bag for an hour to aclimatise,"

I do NOT understand why people leave a fish in the bag for an HOUR!!! IMO/E the proper way to acclimate a fish is to float the bag for 15 minutes to equalize the temp in the bag and tank. Open the bag & add approx 1/4 cup of tank water to the bag. Wait 5 minutes, pour out some of the bag water and put another 1/4 cup of tank water into the bag. Repeat one or two more times and release the fish into the tank.

Good of you to take him home and get him out of a very bad situation & it is good of the store to offer you help with salt, meds, etc.
I did what I was recommended by the store, It hasn't hurt damaged or stressed him out so i don't see your problem?.

We tend to always acclimatize ANY tropical fish we have for 30-60 minutes in the bag in the tank, so they can get used to the tank, and with our community tanks, the other fish mates.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #8 
Lion Mom

I guess my "problem" would be that in my opinion and experience it is just as important - if not more so - to acclimate the fish to the new tank water as to the temperature. You didn't mention that you did that so I can only assume you didn't. Sudden changes in water can lead to real problems for a fish or even death.

I'm glad everything worked out for your guy.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #9 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
I guess my "problem" would be that in my opinion and experience it is just as important - if not more so - to acclimate the fish to the new tank water as to the temperature. You didn't mention that you did that so I can only assume you didn't. Sudden changes in water can lead to real problems for a fish or even death.

I'm glad everything worked out for your guy.
I added half a cup of tank water to his bag every 15 minutes.
Sorry i didn't mean to sound rude or anything(earlier post) I was just trying to get more info.

Thanks for responding.

I'm going to leave his light off today, and put it back on tomorrow, Still Cant get a pic of him flaring , as he hides every time i try
Old 08-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #10 
Lion Mom

Glad to hear you acclimated him to the water as well as the temp. :)

That's ok - when I re-read my post it sounded pretty sassy and I sure didn't mean it that way AT ALL!!! Please accept my apology as well.

I leave lights off as well when they are "new". I think it helps with the stress of the move.

Some of these darn fish are just so camera shy!!!