Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: When my guy started biting his tail he...
...shared a divided tank with another betta 5 35.71%
...could see another betta but did not share a tank 2 14.29%
...could not see any other betta 7 50.00%
...shared a tank with non-betta friends. 1 7.14%
...lived in a cycled tank. 3 21.43%
...lived in a non-cycled tank. 9 64.29%
...was a HM/SDT (including double tail) 2 14.29%
...was a CT (including double tail) 1 7.14%
...was a VT (including double tail) 9 64.29%
...was other (plakat, etc.) 1 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #1 
Jupiter

Parents of tailbiters feedback please.

Joachim (who recently passed away) was my only tail biter. He would bite it when I went away on vacation! Since he was by himself in a 2.5 gallon, I guess he'd get lonely.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I've found that some of my tail bitters would rather be by themselves. Romeo my gorgeous HM that had a beautiful tail decided to shred it. *cringes* Oh I wanted to kill him!lol He was in a divided tank so now he has a 2.5G all by himself and I've seen some fin growth coming in. It could be that they're agitated that they can see the fish and can't get to them.

For the ones that are in by themselves i would put something between the tanks so he/she can't see the other fish and the ones in divided tanks, I'd add more plants up against the divider so they can't see each other. I hope this helps! I know it's frustrating, but just hang in there. :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #3 
kuklachica

I have two HMs that share a tank and were fine for the first month, then BAM! No tail. They are in a kritter keeper now, while their tank is being cycled. If, when I put them back in, they still bite their tails, I will probably end up getting kritter keepers and putting them in seperate ones and cycling those :-/

DRAMA - can you edit my poll so people can choose multiple answers?? THANK YOU!!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #4 
SchwimmyTheBetta

I have one betta. Schwimmy. Who bites his tail. But he is all alone. Can't see another fish (only have one) and he just randomly decided to bite it. Ughh!
SchwimmyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:14 PM   #5 
nochoramet

My fish Chance didn't tail bite until he was put in a divided tank with a male. Now that he's by himself again, he stopped. It is frustrating :[
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #6 
xxabc

I have one, divided with another male. He's just recently stopped though, or I believe, since it grew back long enough to bite again. I rescape the tank with very noticeable plants, and then all of a sudden, they noticed each other through the divider for a week! And he started tailbiting. Now they've lost interest, and he's stopped tailbiting. And it's plastic mesh, btw.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #7 
kuklachica

Parents of tail biters!! Feedback please!

I am curious about the housing set ups of those of you with tail biters. I had a beautiful HM and he started biting his tail. I gave him to a family who had an empty 10 gallon with only one tetra in it. They have kept the betta in a bowl until the tetra dies (it is 4 years old) and then will put the betta into the tank. He cannot see any other fish from his bowl now. Apparently, the plakat-wannabe now loves his bowl and his tail is completely grown in.

I now currently have 4 tail biters and am wondering if there are any similarities between housing situations. Mine can either all see another fish or are in a divided tank with someone else.

I am trying to compile this information... so if you could tell me:

- Housing situation
- cycled/non-cycled
- tail type

I'd really appreciate it!! You can click on more than one thing in the poll.

Last edited by kuklachica; 03-14-2010 at 07:51 PM.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

Well Freddie started biting when he was in a 1 gallon bowl.. unfiltered, unheated, one plant and a cave, one water change a week. He is actually the reason I started researching bettas and the reason my fish are so well taken care of now.

He has also bit in a cycled 10 divided were he could and then couldn't see the other fish and also a cycled 2.5 by himself (he is happiest in the 2.5).

Damon bit his tail in a 3 gallon cycled.. for no apparent reason that I have discerned yet.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #9 
xxabc

Divided 5 gallon. One doesn't tailbite, the other does. But he nipped at his own tail today again. And when it just got better...

Cycled tank.

Veiltail.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #10 
Rain Drop

My little Caesar still bites his tail (VT)
He's in a 2.25 G, unfiltered, heated (78-80), and regular has 100% changes.
He seems too always nip at his tail the most right after I do a water change.
So I'm thinking of investing in a 5G tank that'll be cycled so I don't have to stress him so much with the WC.
That can't happen until I move again in a few months though.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote