View Poll Results: Bowl or more?
Bowls are fine 2 5.13%
2.5 gallon minimum 28 71.79%
5+ gallons 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2014, 07:08 PM   #1 
FishWhisperer

Bowl or Tank?

Many people keep Bettas in bowls. I think they should be at least in a 2.5 gallon tank. Vote for your option above.
FishWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:48 PM   #2 
xShainax

Both IMHO. For me it depends on how big the bowl is and if you can stick a heater in it. I had a beautiful glass 2 gallon bowl that broke when I dropped it while doing a water change.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:26 AM   #3 
Tree

I'd say if the bowl is 1 gallon or larger it's fine. Just as long as it is heated and has a cover. =)

my only issue with the bowls is that it sucks taking good pictures. LOL
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #4 
FishWhisperer

Sorry about that nice bowl. It's good to have honest answers like this
Old 05-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #5 
jona31

For me, I have to go with a 5+ gal. My heart aches whenever I used to see my betta fish going back and forth in his 3 gal so i had to upgrade him to a nice 10 gal he's now happier than ever
jona31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #6 
Sathori

I have a betta in a 1.5 gallon cube that is filtered and heated. He is very happy in it and actually started tail biting when I upgraded him to a 3 gallon, and his tail has improved since I moved him back down to the 1.5 gallon.
I also have a betta in a heated 2 gallon glass "drum" bowl. I have been able to fit a small filter (Tetra Whisper 3i that suction cups to the side) in there, but it's currently being borrowed by a friend of mine.

Working at a pet store, I will say very bare minimum of a tank should be no less than 1.5 gallons since a lot of people in this area will refuse to listen if I tell them 2.5 gallons or higher. Many think it's CRAZY to have a single betta in a 10 gallon.

All my other bettas are in 3 gallon tanks and one lucky guy is in a 10 gallon with some neons and corydoras.
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #7 
MameJenny

I like tanks. They're easier to aquascape, and it's easier to fit in a heater and filter. There's something charming about big bowls, though.

I don't think you need 5+ gallons for one betta. At least 1.5 to 2 is enough IMO, but preferably 2.5+. Of course, most bettas certainly don't mind bigger tanks.
MameJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:02 AM   #8 
FishWhisperer

I'm glad everybody shares equal opinions here. I like 2.5 because it's small but not way too small.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #9 
16kehresmann

I feel like I'm really the only person who thinks 1 Gallon bowls are sad excuses as a "betta home" I know there are some acceptions where bettas do actually PREFER small areas and get stressed when in large tanks but IMO that's rare and far between. It's honestly not that hard to get at least 2.5 gallons... I personally keep my one male in a 20 gallon tank shares with cories and shrimp and he's incredibly happy AND active. Not saying everyone should go out and buy 20 gallons for their betta...But he loves the space. I've honestly never owner a betta who didn't love having large spaces. My newest additions do start off in smaller 2.5 gallon Quarentine tanks but even then I feel kind of bad.. They aren't nearly as active either...IMO If you can't provide 2.5 gallons for a betta then you just shouldn't have one.. It's so so SOO easy to find a cheap 2.5 gallons container or tank..Not much more expensive than it would to be a 1 gallon glass bowl you buy at Petco for like 10 bucks. I got my 2.5 jar looking Quarentine tank for 10 bucks at Walmart..
16kehresmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #10 
FishWhisperer

Nice! I like Cories they are pretty. I have a 2.5 tank I am hoping to use someday. I think cories are the perfect fish to go with bettas. 2.5 gallons is my absolute minimum. Though I would like to get a bigger tank this is my only one.(as in this or bowls which I failed miserably with fair fish)