Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #1 
nochoramet

Angry Grrrrrrrrr!!!!

Ok so last week was my spring break and it sucked...I was sick all week, still am actually but I worried about my fish the whole time I was home, so I decided even though I wasn't feeling too hot, I'd come back up to my dorm and check on them. As I open the door, I am literally baked by a massive heat wave that rolls out. It's so hot, I can barely breathe! My crazy room mate had our heater cranked up as HIGH as it would go. I immediately ran to my tank and checked the thermometer...
95* FAHRENHEIT in my tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Without the tank heater on!!!!!!! I'm glad she was gone last week and was only in the dorm for the weekend, or my fish would have been boiled alive!!!
I have the window open to let in some air and I changed out a lot of the water to bring the temp down some, and I turned the light off so it's drifting back to a sane temp. But still, who gets that cold?!?!?! Seriously!!! I couldn't breathe when I walked in, I immediately started sweating. That's just ridiculous!
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I'm sorry your spring break has been horrible. :( I'm glad every ones ok! I would have a serious talk with your roommate, 95 degrees is just ridiculous!
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #3 
nochoramet

Thanks :) I really was disappointed because this is my first college spring break and I was so excited! But i've been in bed all week. Then I found out my stupid professors assigned work over the week so that was even worse...
i'm glad they're all ok too! I feel bad for them, first not eating for a week then having to be boiled until I rescued them. I'm glad I came up today!! I don't know how she didn't have a heat stroke. When I walked in the room, she was wearing a sweater, sweatpants, and was sleeping ALL the way under her 3 covers.
This is south Alabama, it's not that cold! It's 55* outside right now.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

And she wasn't boiling?? Wow...lol
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad your fish are ok!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #6 
nochoramet

It boggles my mind. I thought I was cold natured, that's why we agreed to room together (long story short, my room mate from last semester transferred and to avoid a massive fee, I had to move in with someone else) but now i'm kind of regretting it.

@drama-yeah me too i'm really relieved...I think if I had stayed home, they would have died because the water was really really hot to the touch, and the glass was fogged up.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had something similar happen to me when I was in college. We had a power outage on campus and the next morning it came back on so I turned on the oven to bake a potpie. The power went out just as my pie finished cooking so I took it out of the oven and ate it. I forgot to turn the oven off and left for home that afternoon. My roommate came back I think it was the next day, discovered it and turned it off. I hate to think what could have happened if she hadn't come back and turned the oven off. The building could have burned down!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #8 
Jupiter

That's insane! Good thing your fish were ok.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

Its a good thing your roommate doesn't live with me. I don't put up with warmness well. All my roommates are too scared to touch the thermometer ROFL. I keep the apartment at like 68-70*
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #10 
FancyFins

Wow that's crazy! I'm glad the fish weren't harmed. Mine almost cooked this weekend too :/ but because of my own lack of brain cells at the moment and a faulty thermometer.
FancyFins is offline   Reply With Quote