Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2010, 11:48 PM   #1 
Kitch3ntools

fin rot i think

Mr.F has a black body w/ red fins (hes a CT) and some of his rays are now missing and some others have black tips, im assuming fin rot, am i right? im doing a salt bath now and will continue with doing them.
Kitch3ntools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #2 
kelly528

Yep thats fin rot. Further to salt baths, ensure his water is pristine as water quality is the number one cause of fin rot.

Could you please fill out this consult form so that we can can better help you identify the cause of the fin rot?

CONSULT FORM

How big is the tank?

Is it uncycled or cycled?

How much water do you change?

How often do you change the water?

WATER STATS
Please try to answer these to the best of your ability. If you do not have a test kit, please bring a sample of tankwater to the nearest local pet store. They should test it for cheap, but most of the time free. Write the actual numbers down, don’t take ‘okay’, ‘low’ or ‘fine’ for an answer.

Temperature:

pH:

Ammonia:

Nitrite:

Nitrate:
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I have noticed with my CT that my hard water tends to cause their rays to drop/degrade, so I use rainwater with oak leaves for softer water.

Clean water is so important too, because once the rays drop or degrade they are now open for bacterial invasion from poor water quality.

You can naturally soften the water with peat moss by putting some in a nylon and placing it under the water flow or in the filter box itself, it will turn the water amber in color.
And you can keep a bucket of water and peatmoss with an airstone to make daily water changes with.
Collecting rain water can also be good natural soft water but you have to live in a location that is free of a lot pollution in the air and free of pollution and chemical in general. I always keep buckets of rainwater with native oak leave for my CT.
IAL can soften the water to a degree just as driftwood will, but not as much......
I don't use chemical by choice anymore and I have less problems as related to fish health and overall well being.

Prevention is the easiest IMO/E but stuff happens, and as Kelly has asked knowing more can help us ID the cause to better help with treatment and I agree most common cause for this type of fin issue is water quality and the best treatment is improved water quality from water changes.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:06 AM   #4 
Kitch3ntools

How big is the tank? 10 gallon divided 2 ways

Is it uncycled or cycled? cycled

How much water do you change? 30-50%

How often do you change the water? Every friday

Temperature: 80

pH: 6

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5

i did a 25% PWC monday night because i had just delt with some nasty internal parasites (out of 9 fish i only lost 2 ) and have medicated the water (i medicated on tuesday the 9th) and untill i do my 2nd treatment (on the 23rd) im doing 25% pwcs every other day and doing 50% on friday. the medication had made the water VERY cloudy. it deff is fin rot because Mr. F's neighbor Harold (hes a VT) fin is nasty looking too just over night.
if i soften the water will it deteriorate the shell of my snails? i have 2 mystery snails (really small poor things are miserable) i was planning on adding a piece of egg shell to the filter to give them some extra goodies, will this harden the water? or hurt my fin kids?
Old 03-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I don't think soft water is the problem with a pH of 6, do you know your KH and GH?

10g with weekly 50% water changes are perfect IMO and frequent pcw during treatment is great
What kind of medication are you using for internal parasites and what kind of parasites,
They could be dropping rays and fins rotting from stress and medications, how old are they?
On your snails, the eggs shells are a good idea, also cuttlebone that birds eat will help and crushed coral...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #6 
Kitch3ntools

i wasnt able to id the parasite but it was clear and it was protruding from one of my girls anus which ended up giving her what looked like a hemorrhoid or an open sore on her anus. i would do salt baths on her & it would heal up fast then it would come back i thought bacterial untill i saw the little worm hanging out and moving on its own (grooosssss)
i had posted about it back when it came up and Chicklet suggested Levamisol. Chicklet had said they used it after they tried everything. i tried the treated food but they were having no part of that. because i used the same net for both tanks (i have 2 10 gallons) i treated both tanks because of this. (i now have separate nets)
the cuttlebone, can i get that in the bird section at petco? ill be there tomarrow when i get my cat groomed (shes long haired) and i could pick some up.
te salt baths seem to be helping and ive been doing the 30-40% pwc every other day thing so i can see how it could be from stress as they are not used to me messing with their house so often. the boys seem so much more sensitive than the girls...the girls dont seem to mind because they now know they get fed after i do it so its become a positive thing :)
Old 03-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #7 
kelly528

Did you test your water when the Levimasole was in? Its technically called levimasole hydrochloride and as that name suggests it is an acid, which will plunge the pH in unbuffered water.

Also, Levimasole is a heavy-duty med that can nuke the biofilter. Found that one out the hard way last week :(
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #8 
Kitch3ntools

ooo i didnt, thnx for the info......hope my bio filter is...somewhat intact lolz im going to check it now.