Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #1 
DarienMincey

betta always flaring at his reflection

Hey guys. My betta Clyde just upgraded to his new 5.5 gallon glass tank and has been flaring constantly. I left my room for an hour yesterday and came back to find his fin split in several places, poor guy. The only thing I can think it was from is the flaring. I got a background for the tank today to try to hide the reflection but its only helped a little. Was wondering if you have any tips or have dealt with this before?
DarienMincey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #2 
DarienMincey

Old 05-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

I honestly can't tell that Clyde has done any more damage than the photos pictured in your other post. Can you point it out to me? It looks like biting. Biting usually starts out as the "u-shaped" chunks but then can become shredded looking.

Maybe someone else will see something I missed.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:50 PM   #4 
Greenapp1es

To me this looks both like biting *and* a blowout from flaring. The slits are long, straight and travel right along the ray of the fin. There also look to be a couple of holes. The ends are ragged and look like they've been thoroughly nibbled.

Glass surfing\flaring is normal for a while when moving to a new tank or changing environments. However, given his injuries you want to make sure that you keep his water clean so that the fins have a chance to recover and regrow in a sterile environment. If you would like (and assuming there are no tankmates that aren't salt-tolerant) you can add Aquarium Salt at 1tsp per gallon for 10 days to help keep the water sterile and encourage regrowth. This isn't necessary though, clean water is the best thing you can do for him.

Until he gets used to the tank, one thing you can try is to mind the lighting in the new tank to minimize the flaring\glass surfing. If you don't have live plants, try keeping the tank light off for a while and see if it makes a difference. In time he should settle down though either way.
Greenapp1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:19 PM   #5 
DarienMincey

RussellTheShihTzu: he had some tearing before but there was only one long split in his back fin. Now there are two more that appeared out of nowhere. Sorry it may be hard to tell from pictures.

Greenapp1es: thanks I may try daily 20% water changes and treatment to see if that helps. Will definitely try turning the light off for now. I have two African dwarf frogs though so I'm not sure how they would react to the salt.

And here's the before picture to compare to if that helps. I hope I'm not overreacting or anything I've just been watching him pretty closely since I've been trying to get him to heal.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:53 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

Good advice from GreenApp1es.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote