Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #1 
goldyboy

A Sorority- How?

I am debating getting another female and getting a tank for them, it'd save me cleaning their bowls seperately. And I think it'd be fun. :)

Where to begin? What are your affordable hints for what to use? I know nothing about filters or anything or how tank maintenance is properly achieved. Cleaning, conditoning, ect. I'm clueless and google is just confusing me.

I hope the girls will like each other, but when their bowls are close together it seems only Fiest and Lark are passive. Siren and Piper are flare-fanatics. I'm also worried that Piper and Sirens fins will be compromised in a tiff or two at the rate they are going (not friends) Who knows though?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
goldyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #2 
Neelie

well all my sorority is is a tank (35L) a normal internal filter, a heater and your usual deco... it doesnt take anything special or fancy etc... just the usual stuff really... as for cleaning, i have 2 cory cats that keep it fairly clean. so i do water changes once a month, not even. tank stays extremely clean.

just remember to give them LOADS of hiding spots! they will live together but each girl likes her alone time now and again. deffo loads of plants and caves.

my girls are ok together although i have a small young one in there where as the other 2 are very strong and big BUT they actually leave the lil' one alone. the 2 big girls do nip each other now and again. it really is trial and error imo... put them together and see what happens. if they dont attack each other and go all mad they'll be just fine. my blue girl was alone for quite a while and spent alot of time flaring at the lads, and then along came 2 other girls.. they are grand though. defo trial and error.

here's my sorority;

Last edited by Neelie; 03-17-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #3 
goldyboy

Thank you! I will note all of that down for when I go looking next payday. :) Much appreciated.

Also, how did you introduce them to the tank and each other? Is there a system?
Old 03-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #4 
Kitch3ntools

at first they will be cranky with eachther. i have 5 girls in a 10g i used clay pots for caves and they seem to enjoy them (there cheep, u can get 3 for $1 at the dollar tree) once they figure out the pecking order everything calms down. one of my girls(Heidi) trys to be pushy with the dominant girl(Luci) and usually ends up getting a fin nipped or Heidi will o in Luci's pot/cave and end up getting caught and nipped
Kitch3ntools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #5 
Neelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldyboy View Post
Thank you! I will note all of that down for when I go looking next payday. :) Much appreciated.

Also, how did you introduce them to the tank and each other? Is there a system?
you dont need a huge heater like i have btw. the one i have there was for the sump of the old barracks so its massive lol.

ha ha tbh it was quite easy; just throw em together, net and bowl with warm water at the ready lol i was afraid that the 2 big girls would kill my small one but they didnt. waited till the 1st clash was over and that was the end of it...
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #6 
goldyboy

Thanks guys!

I just noticed the sticky on Sororities... Oops!

Thanks so much for your help!!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Here is a sticky about sororities. This is just a general guideline. Everyone has their own way of doing things. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...orities-29402/
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #8 
pixiedust

no crown tail females...from my experience. they are kinda feisty... not nice at all to the others. my girl never settled down with the rest and was always trying to take the others out...she has her own tank :D
pixiedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:14 PM   #9 
doggyhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiedust View Post
no crown tail females...from my experience. they are kinda feisty... not nice at all to the others. my girl never settled down with the rest and was always trying to take the others out...she has her own tank :D
IMO, tail type has nothing to do with aggression levels. Other then PKs.

I have a CT girl and she is a SWEETHEART! Totally. It really depends on the fish.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've always heard that ct's were more aggressive than other tail types but I don't know how true that is.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote