Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2007, 07:32 PM   #1 
GalaxyGirl

Help with a betta tank

Okies, I am going to get a 10 gallon and divide it in half for my two bettas. I have never kept them in anything more than a bowl, but since they will be with me for awhile (or hoping) I figure they need some space.

-What type of filter can I get? Can I get another Aquaclear and just have it set to the lowest filtration? If its on one side right next to the middle will it filter and cycle the water through the whole tank?

-What type of plants can I get? I would like to get live plants, and I am not sure which ones are ok for them.

-Should I get a heater? If so, will it heat the entire tank evenly if its on one side of the divider?

-This applies to all my fish, but can I burn incense in my room? I generally crack a window and its not THAT strong a smell, but I miss having it.

Thanks =)
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
A sponge filter with a tank being bare-bottom is sufficient. It should be able to circulate the whole tank. I'd recommend making a small slit near the top of the divider to allow circulation to the other section. A bare-bottom tank will make cleaning of tank much easier.:)

Try Elodea densa, Hygrophila difformis and some floating plants like Salvinia.

A heater is recommended if your room temperature often falls below 24 degrees Celsius or if your area experiences winter season. I live in the tropics so the heaters were never necessary until December. Make sure the heat is circulated by placing the heater above the sponge filter. Sponge filters employ stream of bubbles so circulation to the other side is possible.

I wouldn't try burning an incense since you'll be using airpumps to make the sponge filter work.:) Neither is it advisable to burn the incense even without the airpump as the smoke may find its way to the tank.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #3 
GalaxyGirl

Thank you, do you have any good links on sponge filters? I have seen something about them around here but I cant remember where.

And thats stinky about the incense :( I stocked up on my favourite kind before I got fish.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #4 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
I used the one-second from the left.:)
Click here.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #5 
GobbleDog
Banned

After reading a lot of these Beta posta, one thing is becoming apparent. Either I'm a horrible Beta owner or yall baby your fish too much. I change 100% of my Beta's water every 2 weeks, I don't use a filter, and everyday I feed him til he won't eat anymore.

It's me, isn't it? :(
GobbleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:59 PM   #6 
GalaxyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobbleDog
After reading a lot of these Beta posta, one thing is becoming apparent. Either I'm a horrible Beta owner or yall baby your fish too much. I change 100% of my Beta's water every 2 weeks, I don't use a filter, and everyday I feed him til he won't eat anymore.

It's me, isn't it? :(
Well, let me put it to you this way, if I were to feed my mare until she couldnt eat anymore, she would eat 40+ pounds of hay, mix in some grain and carrots, and completely colic with have liquid diarrhea. 3-4 pellets everyother day is good, and 3-4 bloodworms the other day is about what one betta needs, give or take bloodworms or pellets, add flakes, etc. Fish have teeny stomachs, but huge eyes (dont we all?) so you have to set their diet, not them.

As for water changes, I would every week, because yours is unfiltered, and im assuming its a bowl or tiny tank, it gets dirtier quicker. Stans was disgusting last night, and it had been 7 days.

But yes, I do spoil my bettas, they are both my babies :)

And thanks Blue!
Old 03-07-2007, 08:10 PM   #7 
shavon

My betta must be extremely spoiled. He usually has a ten gallon tank to hisself. Currently he has 5 scissortail keeping him company. I am trying to find another tank for them.
shavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #8 
GalaxyGirl

Haha, if it were up to me they would get 10gallons to themselves too. Unfournately no space, and its more money that I dont have O.O
Old 03-07-2007, 10:37 PM   #9 
GobbleDog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl
so you have to set their diet, not them.
Meh. I think fish are like cats - they know when they're full.
GobbleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:52 PM   #10 
scottysgirl

I think not.
scottysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote