Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2010, 01:21 AM   #1 
ScuitoAmi150

Question Fighting in the sorority?

Okay, all of my girls have torn fins! But I never see them fighting! Ami's are the worst (Dorsal, caudal, & anal fins). Drina has a little tear in her dorsal fin. Zeta has a chunk out of her anal fin. Delta had some on her caudal fin but it healed.

I do have plastic plants but they are really soft.

The only time I have seen them fight is in the first couple of days of having them in the tank (they have been in there for a month, maybe more).

Ami and Delta used to get on each others nerves but I thought they got over it since I haven't seen them fighting. Drina can kinda instigate things sometimes but it really has never gone to the point of fighting (just flaring). Zeta is on the bottom of the chain - if one of them flares at her she usually swims away (& they don't usually chase her).
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:31 AM   #2 
xxabc

I've never had a sorority, so this is all based on info I've read online.

For sororities, whether they've been up for months or not, fighting will mostly likely occur. And yours is "only" up for a month (a month really isn't that long, actually). Like a "ticking time bomb" I think I've read before. If it's not working out, you may have to take some of them out into their own tanks. Or if you're willing, keep them in there? I wouldn't recommend it, but I'd wait until someone who has experience with a sorority came on that . And are you sure about the plants? Did you run a pantyhose across it? The slightest snagging/tearing indicates it may rip your bettas fin.

I think they're still fighting, though. Just because you didn't see it doesn't really mean much, the evidence is somewhat there. It's like a tailbiter - it's tailbiting, but you never see it. Or rather, you hardly see it. Hopefully none of the girls gets hurt too much. Good luck!
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:36 AM   #3 
ScuitoAmi150

There wasn't any torn fins before I put the filter in. Could the current be too strong? I didn't think it was too strong, but I can always turn it down a little bit.

I don't have any pantyhose to run across the plants. They feel soft to the touch. But one thing that MAYBE could be it is that some of my plants are the kind you have to put under gravel. I don't have any gravel so I got the Plant Sinkers. Since these plants have fake "roots" on them, I'm wondering if maybe that is tearing their fins.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #4 
dipsydoodlenoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuitoAmi150 View Post
There wasn't any torn fins before I put the filter in. Could the current be too strong? I didn't think it was too strong, but I can always turn it down a little bit.

I don't have any pantyhose to run across the plants. They feel soft to the touch. But one thing that MAYBE could be it is that some of my plants are the kind you have to put under gravel. I don't have any gravel so I got the Plant Sinkers. Since these plants have fake "roots" on them, I'm wondering if maybe that is tearing their fins.

Definately turn the filter down; see if it helps; the shop I got mine from said they don't keep them in tanks with filters as it tears their fins too much. I have a sponge filter in my tank; but it's a filter for "smaller" than the tank is; of course I'll have to clean it more but it means I can have water circulation without torn fins.
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #5 
doggyhog

Put something over the intake tube of the filter. I thought one of my boys was getting fin rot, but he had just got sucked by the intake tube. Make a little cage out of plastic canvas and stick it over the tube.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:31 PM   #6 
ScuitoAmi150

Good ideas you guys! I'll turn it down. Now that I think of it, I took out the carbon filter last week and their fins have been worse since then. It must be easier for the water to move through.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #7 
ScuitoAmi150

I turn the spout where the water comes out towards the back of the tank (I can't turn it down anymore) and all of my girls fins are looking better.