Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2010, 12:59 AM   #1 
Sanine

Exclamation Swollen eye

I am new here, but I was wanting some information and thoughts about what I should do for my Betta, Isaac. I've had him for about 7 months. I am unsure if the tank I have for him is a 1.5 gallon or 2 gallon tank. I do not have a heater for him, but I do have a filter. I have an aquarium light I turn on during the day for him. I also try to give him areas to hide in the tank. I also have a live plant in the tank.

Yesterday I cleaned out his tank and waited until today to put him in to his clean tank and as I was putting him in the tank, somehow he ended on the floor instead of the tank. I picked him up as fast as I could and put him back in the water, but now he is swimming near the top of the water and his right eye is pretty swollen. His color seems to be a little more dim than he normally is.

Normally I have a fake plant in the tank that he likes to stay in, but with his eye swollen he seems to be getting caught in the fake plant so I took it out fearing he may hurt himself in it. I am also unsure if I should keep the aquarium light on for him or turn it off.

I have included 2 pictures of Isaac. They are not a good quality because they were taken with my web cam, but hopefully you can see how swollen his eye is in them.

I appreciate any input on what I should do for him. One main issue I have is how much I can afford right now. After reading through the forum I have decided to get a heater for him but I can't afford to until next week.

Thanks,
Samantha
Attached Images

Sanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #2 
Sanine

Just an update Isaac is swimming around more than he was yesterday. His eye is still swollen but it seems to have gone down a bit. His swollen eye has a red spot in it.
Here are better photos of him with his eye.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #3 
doggyhog

Ooooo... ouch.

Looks like Popeye. I've not had experience with popeye, but I think it's treatable.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...n+fish&spell=1
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Was his eye swollen before the fall? or did the fall cause the edema?

Clean water and lots of it with daily water changes to help prevent a secondary infection, get a heater and thermomter, but I would keep the water temp in the 75-76F range until he is healed up and then up the heat to 79-80F,
It is not uncommon for them to lose the eye from injuries and a fish will be just fine, so don't freak out if the eye ball falls out, as long as he has clean water he should be fine.
You can also try epsom salt 1tsp/gal this will help with swelling/edema and some bacteria/fungal issues in the water. If you have IAL or oak leave I would add that as well.

If he looks like he is getting worse or a secondary infection has occurred you may want to treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic, I don't use OTC meds so someone else will have to recommended a brand, just follow the label directions and full course.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Maracyn 1 and 2 will treat popeye.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #6 
Sanine

Oldfishlady, his eye became swollen after the fall. I will see if I can get a heater and thermometer today.
How will I be able to tell if a secondary infection is setting in? would it just be his change of color and the way he acts?
Sorry this is my first betta (from having gold fish before) so I am a little unsure of how to do somethings.
Thanks every one I really appreciate the help. :D
Old 03-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

When a secondary sets in, several things can happen but not always, usually they will become lethargic or stop moving/swimming, appetite can decrease, around the infected area the site can get red streaks and/or red/discolor in general, increased slim production, clamping of fins, hiding, fast/rapid gill movement are just some of the thing that can be seen.
Keep the water really clean to help keep the bacterial/pathogens number low, water temp in the 75-76F range since bacteria thrive in water water, but you don't want it too cool or the fish will become stressed..it is kind of a double edged sword in a way.....epsom salt can help with edema and as dramaqueen stated the maracyn 1 & 2 would be a good choice for broad spectrum antibiotic.
Keep us posted on how he is doing....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:17 AM   #8 
Sanine

He seems to be doing better. He is still hanging out around the top of the tank. I did another water change today and he is now swimming around more than he was before. His eye seems to be going down a bit but also seems to be a little "droopy" from how it looked yesterday.
I haven't noticed too much difference in his eating habbit. However I was told when I bought him from Petsmart to feed him a pinch of pellets every other day. Should I be feeding him more often less amounts? or continue feeding him a pinch every other day?
I also bought a heater today http://www.petco.com/product/102429/...um-Heater.aspx. I haven't put it in the tank yet. I was wondering if that is okay? I read on a post elsewhere that the tank should be watched to make sure it doesn't get too hot. I'm usually gone most of the day and don't get home sometimes after a 12 hour day. Could being gone that long without monitoring the heat on that heater end up killing Isaac?
With adding the salt to the water can you point me into the right direction that I may find the topic on the site?
Sorry for so many questions. I know now, this topic has gone off into one that should be talked elsewhere on the board.
Thanks again everyone. I really do appreciate the help you have given me.
Sam
Old 03-18-2010, 03:30 AM   #9 
reaperss06

The feeding should be done twice a day, 5 pellets maybe even 6 I believe will work fine. The salt issue, read the directions very carefully, too much salt and your fish will die (sad experience). If his eye is getting better then keep doing what your doing, sounds like it was just a swollen side effect of falling. I'm not sure about the droopy that is happening maybe its just because it was so big, kind of like when someone obese loses a lot of weight. Maybe some one else can help on the droopyness.

I use that heater and love it, it seems to work perfectly fine in a 2 gallon, might overheat if its less then that. The 12 hours does seem to put a burden on you in some way, but the thermometer will help, if possible test the heater when you can be home for a full day or two, and see how it acts during the day. My heater keeps the tank about 80-81 degrees, but I'm a 2 gallon.

Last edited by reaperss06; 03-18-2010 at 03:35 AM. Reason: added heater info
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:25 AM   #10 
bloo97

Ouch! That actually scared me. Sorry about his eye though. ) :
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swollen eye