Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2010, 10:06 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have never seen any of my females except Leilani flare.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

I've never seen any female flare... but thats just based on the 1 I own and the 3 million I've looked at at various petsmarts and walmarts over the years LOL

I'm almost positive your girl is a guy though... he just has that guy look to him :D
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #13 
doggyhog

All of my girls flare. LOL

I see ivy flaring at Sammy all the time.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #14 
goldyboy

Bad quality pics, sorry.

I'm confused. I though I saw the ovi, then I wasn't certain (Piper is REALLY fast) And then I put a mirror up to the bowl and Piper did something I've never seen a male or female do. It was a full blown flare dance/war dance and it was...well, pretty darn intimidating. He/She stuck their nose out of the water and waggled sideways back and forth across the bowl. At that point the pics stopped.

He/She has a big flare, but stripes often. So really I have no idea.

At least I chose a pretty unisex name. Boy or girl Piper is not very happy with me atm after all the camera flashes. Eek. Think I'll hold off visiting again until morning. lol

Last edited by goldyboy; 03-17-2010 at 11:59 PM.
goldyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:15 AM   #15 
1fish2fish

LOL my guys always flare like that .. Do you have clear cup or even a ziplock bag? I would put him/her in it and hold it above your head to check for the egg spot. I had to do this with my new guys because Lestat and Phoebe are about the same size so I couldn't tell them apart.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:21 AM   #16 
goldyboy

I'm fairly certain after the flare-a-thon that Piper is a wee boy...plakat, maybe?

I did the mirror game to my girls and their flares were tiny in comparison.

But I'll do the bag thing 2morrow. Or he just might jump out of the bowl and tail slap me at this point. He puts Murdoch's grumpy to shame.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #17 
BettaxFishxCrazy

My two VT females flare but it's not as big as my boys. They also don't flare as much as the boys do. She looks like a he to me too the more I look at her/him.lol
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #18 
DragonFish

I've seen all of my girls flare before, but mostly at each other, and not all of them will flare for the mirror ;)

The egg spot won't necessarily tell you if its male or female, especially if its young. My Hayate still has an 'egg spot', and hes 100% male.
I'm about 90% sure your guy is male though, probably a DTPK(Double-tail Plakat). I've never seen a DT female wish such long fins, not to mention those nice full ventrals and that big beard.
Look at some pictures of PK males and females though, that way you can see the difference :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #19 
goldyboy

I'll admit I'm very disappointed, I thought Piper was a real find as a DTF and they still look like one to me being so small with a lil round girl face but meh. I'm no expert on plakats either so I'll assume with a flare like that that she is in fact a he.

But when I look at Piper I see a girl, she looks like Fiest with big fins, same face, same size and all.

As a male will he get bigger? I'll need to buy a bigger bowl now too.

Greeeat.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #20 
DragonFish

Hes probably quite young(he was very small when you got him, correct?)and will most likely grow a little(though I doubt he'll get above average male size xD)and become a little more 'manly' . My Hayate is quite a girly-looking male though.....Piper just may be like him and keep that cute girly/puppy face xD
His fins might grow longer too, its hard to say, but I think hes a DTPK....which aren't all that common either ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote