Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2010, 11:46 PM   #11 
1fish2fish

Is your tank cycled? If not do a full 100% water change before you leave. If it is cycled I would still do a 70% change at least on tanks smaller than 5 gallons... thats just what I do for my little tanks.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #12 
Neelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
I would personally leave him for a week without food. Feed him before you leave, and have a NICE water change the day before (or of, depending when you leave) you leave. The moment you come back, feed him, and do another water change! But I've never actually done it before, this is all based on what I've read, and probably what I'll do if this ever comes.
TOTAL ditto.
one of my guys didnt eat for a week when i got him caus he didnt like the food... he was fine. dont worry
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #13 
nochoramet

I left mine in an uncycled tank for 10 days and no food and they were fine. But it's a 10g, I don't know how big yours is. They weren't even pale when I came back, they were all happy and fine. Just do a big change before, and a big change when you get back and all will be fine.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #14 
veganchick

I put 7 day weekend feeders (the betta type, not tropical fish) in with mine whan I leave, so they don't have to go a day without food
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #15 
1fish2fish

I don't like weekend feeders its too easy for the fish to gorge themselves and get sick and they can seriously mess the water quality. Having fish eating and pooping and creating ammonia is far worse than them not eating. If no one is around to do water changes a hungry fish is better than one swimming in its own filth.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #16 
FuulieQ

Okay. I leave tonight, so I'm going to change 70-80% of the water before I go. Thanks for the help, guys.

There's another problem, though. They're making me unplug everything before I go. That means I'll have to turn his heater off. It's pretty warm in here usually, and for the little while that I had him without a heater he did okay.... but that still worries me.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #17 
1fish2fish

Are you in a dorm? I just explained to my CA that I couldn't unplug my filters or heaters and that I would unplug everything else and she was fine with that. *hint*.. they usually don't check anyway.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:56 PM   #18 
FuulieQ

Okay, so I'm back! :D And he lived!

I think he was almost happy to see me in his usual uppity grouchy way. He watches me a lot more now than he did before. :P He sure was happy to be fed.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #19 
xxabc

Welcome back, and yay that he's alive : )
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:03 AM   #20 
nochoramet

Yay!! I bet he was happy to be fed lol he probably was like "Where have YOU been while I was starving to death in my home? Heartless owner!" That's the looks I got when I came back.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote