Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2010, 04:36 AM   #1 
Patrickstarr

Exclamation i just got my betta

hey everyone!!! i just got a male beta the other day, kind of on a whim. I bought this starter pack that came with a 1/2 gallon bowl food stuff that makes the water safe rocks and a plastic plant for 6.25 i really want to get my betta a bigger glass bowl and some other stuff but dont know what i should get him. I also want to get him a heater, but im afraid he will get sick if i intigrate him into a much warmer inviroment too fast, what should i do???
hes really awesome looking but im afraid he will get sickly if i dont hurry and get him into a better inviroment.
Patrickstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:32 AM   #2 
dr2b

Welcome to the forum! It is recommended that you get a 2.5 gallon bowl (at least). However, I honestly find it cheaper to buy a larger tank (such as a 5 gallon). I think a lot of people on here use the Marineland Visitherm heaters. I haven't tried this one yet, but I have one for my new tank I am going to set up later today. You'll also need a thermometer. If you acclimate your betta you'll be fine putting him in a new tank. Get the tank set up, clean everything (gravel, decorations, tank itself) with some hot water and condition the the tank water before putting it in the tank. Make sure it is at room temperature or the desired temp, and float your betta in a cup in the water for about 5 to 10 minutes and then add some of the water into the cup and just let him sit there to acclimate some more.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #3 
kelly528

Here is some information that should help you choose a proper tank size. I like 5g tanks, here's why:

__________________________________________________ __
Unfortunately fish stores will sell you just about anything to get your money. And they make considerably more selling cheap tanks to a bunch of people than they do selling proper tanks to the few people who have actually done their homework on tank size.

Another common myth is that small tanks are lower maintenance. If you put three drops of red food coloring in your 1g bowl, it would probably turn the water bright red. If you put 3 drops of red food coloring in a 5g tank, it would only turn the water a light pink. The same goes for the waste your fish produces. The smaller the tank, the stronger the waste will be. So you have to clean it more often. If you are looking for a truly good beginner size, I strongly recommend you grab a 5g tank.

What’s the worst that could happen if dissolved waste reaches strong concentrations in the water? The ammonia, nitrite and nitrate given off by fish waste and rotting food is very toxic and will compromised the fish's immune system, stress him or even burn and suffocate fish in extreme cases. Therefore removal of these componds on a regular basis is essential to fish health.

Furthermore, there are no heaters on the market that will heat a 1g to the right temperature. Since it is such a small amount of water even the smallest of heaters will often make the water too hot.

__________________________________________________ __

A really good, economical kit is the Minibow 5 by Aqueon. The filter is nice and gentle and it comes with a full hood and light. Another great tank is the Eclipse Series by Marineland. They have many small tanks ranging from 2-5g, all of which come with an excellent in-hood 'bio-wheel' filter.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:35 PM   #4 
doubleatheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickstarr View Post
hey everyone!!! i just got a male beta the other day, kind of on a whim. I bought this starter pack that came with a 1/2 gallon bowl food stuff that makes the water safe rocks and a plastic plant for 6.25 i really want to get my betta a bigger glass bowl and some other stuff but dont know what i should get him. I also want to get him a heater, but im afraid he will get sick if i intigrate him into a much warmer inviroment too fast, what should i do???
hes really awesome looking but im afraid he will get sickly if I don't hurry and get him into a better inviroment.
$30 - 5 gallon tank walmart (includes filter, tank, hood, lighting)
$14 - 50w tetra heater from walmart (hey for people on a budget its better than nothing)
~$6 - gravel (walmart)
~$7 (2 medium silk plants from petco) (walmart sometimes has silk plants for about $7, but they are ugly.)

$57 total not bad.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #5 
veganchick

ou could always get a 9 dollar 2.5g bowl......
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #6 
kelly528

For $9 plus the filter ($15) a bowl doesn't come with, you are $6 away from a 5g with a light and hood.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote