Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #1 
pixiedust

more about giant betas?

i would like to know more about giant betas...and maybe if i have one, and if a friend has one. i have a female who i got at what i assumed was full grown, we she has just grown and grown, the is probably about 2 1/2 to 3 times the size of all my other females, she is amazing. and my friend has a male who is at least twice the size of every male we own. they are huge!!!! and im pretty sure im going to breed them, because ive never personnaly seen two non king betas this size. ill post some picks of them when i find my camera
pixiedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Be careful breeding pet store fish.. you never know what kind of genetic crap they could be carrying.

How big are the fish in inches from tip of nose to peduncle? Giants are at least 4 inches long full grown and have a range of health problems.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #3 
pixiedust

hmmm not quite 4 inches. not good with inches but they are the size of king betas for sure....just seem really fat.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #4 
1fish2fish

If they aren't true Giants I wouldn't breed them. Are you willing to care for up to a hundred or more fry that you might not be able to find homes for? King bettas are essentially mutts and you won't get much at all for a 'king" on aquabid.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #5 
pixiedust

it wasnt really for the money, just the size is amazing. and they would end up very pretty colors. i probably wont do it, theyre getting old. just one of those wow wouldnt that be cool dreams.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

Yeah I understand. I feel very strongly about breeding ethically and breeding for a goal.. not just because the fish is pretty. Breeding is very difficult and expensive and its possible to lose the male or female due to fighting... sometimes the risks outweigh the benefits.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Well, breeding is definitely something that requires a lot of consideration before doing it. It's not something that someone should just jump into without putting a lot of thought and preparation into it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #8 
vaygirl

What sort of health problems do they get? Giants, I mean. I was considering trying to find one cause I love Kilo so much but I have my hands full with Whiskey's problems as it is.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

I haven't really looked into them too much. I do know they have much shorter lives than regular splendens and I seem to remember seeing something about some health issues... I just can't remember where i was reading about it. Your lucky to find a giant for less than $100 on aquabid and I've never heard of getting one from a pet store.. just the "king" bettas.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #10 
vaygirl

I still want one. They're too expensive though, like you said. There was a yellow and blue one up on aquabid for a while for 80 bucks.

Honestly my King is big enough. That's what I keep telling myself. LOL
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote