Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #1 
Min

One lazy night ! Errrrrrrr.

So as of last friday I was in week 2 of cycling my tanks. This past wed I was so exhausted I figured its 1 night. Didnt do a water change. Well guess what, im back to square one. one night cost me at least another 2 weeks im sure. Live & learn I guess. Now I know why u all said you have to be dedicated to water changes every night. Im so PO'ed at myself I was so close.

Last edited by Min; 03-18-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #2 
xxabc

Oh, the joys of aquarium-keeping... I'm sure it'll turn out fine, though!
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

What happened????? one missed water change during cycle should not change the process.....can cause problems for the fish during a fish cycle though.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Yeah.. what happened? I know I skipped a day here and there in the process of cycling all of my tanks but I never had any problems with it.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #5 
doubleatheman

Yeah what happened? During my cycle time Ive only been changing the water every 2-3 days.

Every time I test for ammonia and I can't ever detect any.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:43 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

What are you using to test? A good cycle should show ammonia every day for several days/weeks and culminate in a spike that lowers as nitrites start emerging.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #7 
doubleatheman

Well I'm Changing 50% of the water every 2-3 days now. I'm not really trying to cycle, I just thought I would slowly ease into the cycle as I change the water less often.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:37 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

Its not something you "ease into" its something you have to actively do and prolonged exposure to the ammonia is harmful to the fish.. the idea is to get the tank cycled as quickly as possible. There is a process you have to do.. you can't just slowly lessen the frequency of water changes.. its actually the opposite.. when you do a fish in cycle you have to do daily water changes to make the ammonia and nitrite levels safe.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:52 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

You really have to keep an eye on your ammonia levels when you do a fish in cycle because you want enough ammonia for your cycle but not enough to kill your fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #10 
Min

Not sure what happened. but my 6 gallon was showing nitrites & very low amonia I was also starting to see nitrates. I test the water now & its like I just started. The amonia isnt through the roof but my nitrites arent showing anymore. my one 3 gallon has been slow to cycle the other 3 gallon was starting to show nitrites now nothing. im using the master test kit. The only thing different was I put in some IAL but I dont know that that would make a difference.
Min is offline   Reply With Quote