Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #1 
ScuitoAmi150

Slowing water flow?

The current in my tank is too much. It has been ever since I took out the carbon filter the other day (it was really gross and I don't have the $ to get a new one). It is turned down the lowest it can go. Right now I have the spout facing the back of the tank.

I don't have like, any, money so I need a solution that I can solve with things I already have.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I haven't bought/used store bought filter media in over 10 years, mainly because most carbon is useless after about 2 weeks and I don't use it anyway...so why spent the money and when I did buy/use it I only changed it out maybe 1-2 times a year at most and only if it was falling apart...I now use poly fill a product from the craft department, one big bag cost about 5-6 bucks and last forever, I have 9 tanks and use filters on 4 of them, I cram the polyfill in my HBO's and leave it at that, I will give them a rinse in old tank water when the water flow slow down and that is about it......and due to keeping the natural planted soil based tanks I can toss the polyfill and replace with new and not worry about a mini-cycle....love my low tech tanks.....lol....

Get you old filter media and cut a slit in it and dump out the charcoal, give it a good rinse and put it back in the filter, you may have a mini-cycle so watch your water prams and make needed water changes...why spend money on something you don't need to...you want the filter media to look dirty...that is the good bacteria or food for the good bacteria, when the water flow slows, give it a swish in old tank water with a water change and your are good to go......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #3 
doubleatheman

Yep I just refill them with stuffing, or filter media from the pet store, and I use AMMO-CARB just kinda recreate what the original filter consisted of, and hold it together with a few rubber bands and your good to go. (Usually for about 1/5th the cost!)
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #4 
ScuitoAmi150

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleatheman View Post
Yep I just refill them with stuffing, or filter media from the pet store, and I use AMMO-CARB just kinda recreate what the original filter consisted of, and hold it together with a few rubber bands and your good to go. (Usually for about 1/5th the cost!)
I can use just regular stuffing? Like the kind you buy at craft stores in huge bags?
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #5 
doubleatheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuitoAmi150 View Post
I can use just regular stuffing? Like the kind you buy at craft stores in huge bags?

Yep I've. My mom used it on our other tanks for years with no problems, just rinse it first, I have no clue what chemicals may be left on it from the factory.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote