Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #1 
betabetta

Smile size question

hi!

Do all bettas grow to around the same size? I currently have two males, one CT and one VT. The CT is probably half the size of the VT (body size). I've also noticed poking around PETCO that there are some very small and some very large fish. Is this just age, or is there really a large size variance?

thanks!
betabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

It really depends. Since the fish came from a petstore there is really no way of knowing how old they are. IME crown tails tend to be smaller in body size than veils but not by much.. it could just be that one of your fish is older than the other.

Size really depends on genetics so some fish may stay small and some may get quite big just depending on their lineage.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #3 
kelly528

I think its an age thing. I have noticed that (presumably younger) bettas in pet stores are just little shrimps compared to Lou (who is 1 1/2 years old).

Plus it makes sense that breeders would want to sell them as SOON as they get some color, since they have neither the time nor space nor cash to grow bettas out to full size before selling.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:09 AM   #4 
bloo97

Makes Sense. . .( :
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #5 
Adelheidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
Plus it makes sense that breeders would want to sell them as SOON as they get some color, since they have neither the time nor space nor cash to grow bettas out to full size before selling.
Semi off-topic, but how do Betas get shipped? I thought it was illegal to ship live animals through the mail (similarly, I was wondering how they got to the pet stores in the first place).
Adelheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

Live animals can be shipped. People get dogs from breeders all over the world.. same for fish. Fish are bagged in plastic bags then placed in a box lined with styrofoam or bubble wrap, etc and are usually given a heat pack that lasts for a few days. The box is marked with "LIVE FISH" and "THIS END UP" and shipped off.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #7 
kelly528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelheidi View Post
Semi off-topic, but how do Betas get shipped? I thought it was illegal to ship live animals through the mail (similarly, I was wondering how they got to the pet stores in the first place).

Yeah its still difficult to do because of customs in some countries... I don't think its so hard for individuals importing live fish as a business (such as pet stores or people who run fish importing businesses out of their home) but for the individual its hard to sort it all out with customs.

Thats why on fish auctions sellers often list a 'transshipper' for a few of the major countries such as Canada, Germany, Australia, Britain so that fish coming from the US or Thailand is sent with other people (who are from the same country)'s purchases and then shipped from the transshipper's house out to the buyers.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote