Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #1 
Adelheidi

How often to feed?

How much do I feed him and how often do I feed him? Currently, I just have Top Fin Colour Enhancing Beta Bits for him to eat. At least, until next week when I get paid again and I can get him other items.

Also, how do I get him to reveal his personality to me? And how do I get him acclimated to me? How do I know how much 25% of the bowl is, for when I go to change the water out?
Adelheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #2 
Adelheidi

Couldn't find the edit button, but I'd like to tack on that I have a 2 gallon tank. When I clean the water, should I be doing a 100% cleanage? I think I should be cleaning every day, right?
Old 03-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #3 
kelly528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelheidi View Post
How much do I feed him and how often do I feed him? Currently, I just have Top Fin Colour Enhancing Beta Bits for him to eat. At least, until next week when I get paid again and I can get him other items.
I feed my guy once a day in the evening. Their stomach is about the size of their eye, so use this as a guide for how large your portions should be.

Quote:
Also, how do I get him to reveal his personality to me? And how do I get him acclimated to me?
Bettas spend a few days 'settling in' and getting used to their surroundings. But they can learn basic things and will soon learn things like 'human in front of tank = food', etc. They also like to people watch; my betta is on my desk where I have a bit of difficulty getting work accomplished knowing that an inquisitive betta is watching my every move from the comfort of his plant leaf

I would say the best way to get your betta to 'warm up to you' is to make him comfortable by providing a reasonably large tank, lots of plants and hiding spots. Also looking after his overall health will make him more curious... a good sign of an unhealthy betta is if they take no interest in anything going on around them.

Quote:
How do I know how much 25% of the bowl is, for when I go to change the water out?
I know you are going to read a lot of conflicting information about this, but whether you need to change 100% of the water or simply 25% depends on whether the tank is 'cycled', meaning whether it has been colonised by bacteria who make the betta's waste less toxic to them.

Until you read more about cycling and possibly cycle your tank you will want to be doing 100% changes. How big is your tank?

Just read your edit, 100% cleaning every 3 days should suffice. If you had a 1g bowl I'd say 100% every 1-2 days, but since your tank can hold more water, dissolved waste will be more dilute and therefore less harmful.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #4 
xxabc

I feed mine twice a day, once in the morning and evening. 2 pellets at each meal. At treat-time, I feed them 2 freezedried bloodworms.

The info kelly said is good, so read that well!
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #5 
Adelheidi

I'm not able to get any "nice" looking plants until next Friday. So, he currently doesn't have any hiding spots. Could I make do just putting like a coffee mug in there in the meantime?
Old 03-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #6 
xxabc

Try to get one that's never seen any kind of soap before. Soap kills fish easy, and fast. But yes, that'll definitly work for the meanwhile
Old 03-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I also feed mine twice a day, 2 pellets each time.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #8 
Adelheidi

Video Link to new Betta Fish
Does he look healthy? I think his fins are kind of droopy, but other than that, he seems to appear healthy. I pretty much went for the most pretty and kind of pathetic looking one at the petstore (main reason I bought him was because I felt bad he was in this little tiny clear container, right next to all the other fish he doesn't get on with). Sorry for the crappy camera. He appears to be pretty happy. He mostly sits on the bottom of his new home, though.

Last edited by Adelheidi; 03-19-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: I forgot forums don't typically allow HTML
Old 03-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #9 
xxabc

Hmm, i think the current is waaaaay too strong. Either that, or he's swimming awkwardly. His fins COULD open up a bit more, but work on the current first. And work on those plants~
Old 03-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #10 
Adelheidi

The current just blows bubbles. He doesn't appear to care one way or the other if it's on or off. To be honest, I think I'd rather have it off. The "lid" to the cylinder thing doesn't stay in one place, and doesn't cover the entire cylinder.

How will I know if he's sleeping? Does he have eyelids? I thought I saw his eye close earlier, but upon closer inspection, it was still open.

I fed him a couple of pinches of pellets earlier today, which I now know is too many. He's still got some floating around on top that he occasionally goes up to eat. Do I just leave them there, or take them out? If I leave them there, do I wait a certain amount of time before feeding him again after they're all gone? I'm a bit worried about him over eating and getting fat, though he doesn't really touch them that much. He ate a couple maybe 5 minutes ago, and about 2 - 4 hours before that.

He looks to have blown tiny bubbles up to the surface, but I have not witnessed him doing so. It also may be side effects from the heat of the water. The thermometer says it's at 79F.

And a second video link, this time him swimming without the bubble maker thing Link
Attached Images

Last edited by Adelheidi; 03-19-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Added on pics and video