Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #11 
xxabc

That looks a lot better. What is the temperature? I can't really read it. He really should have a heater, regardless of your room temperature. A big concern would also be fluctuations at night. .

His fins seem to still be clamped though...

And he'll just be at the bottom, not moving at all. Yes, it may seem like he's dead, but you'll get used to it! Oh, and don't tap on the glass if you wanna see if he's dead or not. Just wave your arms/hand around in front of him, he'll take notice of it. And since you seem to have fed him a lot, maybe don't feed him tomorrow. Have you done water changes yet?
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #12 
Adelheidi

Not yet. I just put in the water today.

Yeah, I noticed him floating towards the top earlier, and looked up 'betta fish sleeping,' and I guess that's what he was doing? He was just kind of floating up there. I wasn't too concerned, since don't fish float either belly up or vertically if they're dead? (I saw a dead betta at the fish store when I went back there the fourth time today. They had a couple of deaths today, apparently)

I was a bit concerned when he was floating toward the bottom, not really appearing to do much.

I've since put in half of a black plastic container. I was afraid it wouldn't make for a good hiding spot, but he seems to like it. He's sitting under it now.

The temperature reads blue for 75F, Green for 79F, and yellow/tan for 82F. I'm assuming the green temperature is the temperature of the water? I didn't really look at the instructions for reading the thermometer.

I've read that some people put mirrors up for a little bit in front of their fish. Is this recommended? I'd like to see if he flares at all, but I'm not sure if he'd do it, after spending so long in that tiny cup.

For water changes, I don't really have anything to keep him in other than the cup he came in. Will that be sufficient enough for now, until I can upgrade to a bigger tank and then use this one as a 'back up' tank? Or will it stress him out too much to be in that tiny cup again for 5 hrs?

Edit: I hear you about the heater, though. I'm a bit concerned about that, but can't afford a heater yet. I do typically leave on my own space heater at night, which probably heats up my bedroom to 80F. Will that be okay for just the week? It's also why I moved him by my table lamp. That bulb gets hot, and I'm hoping it'll help heat his tank.
Adelheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #13 
xxabc

Oh, okay then. They usually... don't sleep like that. They usually sleep on something. He's probably not interested in anything at the moment, so until you put in plants / decor / toys, he'll probably be quite bored

IMO, the temperature should be around 77-80. 75 is compromisable, though, but it's pushing it. You COULD put on the space heater, but isn't that dangerous in general? I've never used one, so I don't know how they go. And if the bulb is hot, the moment you turn it off, the water temperature may cool down, causing temperature fluctuations. And temp flucs. --> stress in betta --> illnesses. It may be a little exaggerated, but it always runs the risk that way. What type of bulb is it? Fluorescent / incandescent? (Fluorescent is better).
--Just read, is the bulb ITSELF hot? Or is the water also heating up? I think all bulbs get hot anyway once they're turned on

For water changes, it's MUCH easier to just leave him in there. A lot less stressful, believe it or not. However, it's possible he's the type of betta that isn't fond of water changes at ALL. You'll have to first do wter changes with him in there and see how he does.

Good idea on upgrading :) What are you going to upgrade to? I hate having the idea of burning all my money at one time. You COULD take it slow if you're really on budget, like first buying the tank. Then the heater, with a plant or so. Maybe a new light, with another plant later. Etc, etc, whatever works out for ya
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #14 
Adelheidi

I want to upgrade to a 5 gallon tank, but it'll probably wait until after I move out and have more space (I *barely* had the space for a 2 gallon tank!).

Is there a heating fixture I can buy for my current tank, that won't over heat him? What are heating fixtures like? I honestly didn't look, because we 'cool' to like 76F during the day during the summer (the AC is only on to kill the humidity). It's not going to be a *real* problem until winter, when we heat to 68F. Hopefully, I'll have moved out by then (I have a goal of moving out by August. Hopefully will get a new job that'll get me more money first :D I don't make enough at my current job to move out on my own).

He appears to like to lie in the plastic container, as well, which is something I didn't predict. He likes lying under it as well. He was hiding earlier, then he came out and looked at me (I made weird faces and he was all "o_O?"), and then he went to the surface and swam around for a bit and then he went back to hiding.

So, when I leave him in there, I'm not doing a 100% water change then, right? What percentage of his water should I be changing? I was told earlier in the thread to change the water every 3 days for this size tank. How do I do water changes if I'm not taking him out? Do I use lukewarm water? (that's what I used for his tank, because I was worried about it not being warm enough for him).

If I don't have a heater for him, should I just keep changing the water to keep it warm? I'm terrified of killing him :(

Edit to add: I figure I'll probably keep the container in there, even after I get more "nicer" looking things. Not sure what else I want to get, though.

Last edited by Adelheidi; 03-19-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Wasn't done talking, apparently :P
Old 03-20-2010, 12:19 AM   #15 
doubleatheman

This is what I did to reduce my air flow.

I can make the bubbles about 1/4th as strong with this. The airstone acts as a muffler for the sound of the air bleed, the other end of the T goes to the tank itself.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:34 AM   #16 
kelly528

Yeah gang-valves are a very good idea for slowing flow, since you can actually adjust the flow with a knob. Alternatively, crimping the tubing with a binder clip will work.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:50 AM   #17 
Adelheidi

Also, I read that I need to get his attention when I feed him. I've been trying to do this by swirling my finger in the water a little bit, but someone here mentioned they're sensitive to vibration. Will that bother him too much? Is there a better way to do this?