betta fish

Old 03-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #11 
Adelheidi

I meant 'does the fin rot hurt him'?
Adelheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

If it goes unchecked then it will turn into body rot and kill him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #13 
ecoprincess

You said it happened over night?? If you have a filter in the tank its possible that the fins were sucked in. Not sure....but is a thought. Also.....aquarium salts are awesome.....in either way....it will promote healing and u can see a change in their attitude within hours.
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:30 AM   #14 
bettalover2033

okay so what you are saying is that the bettas should not be in the same tank as the goldfish??
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:34 AM   #15 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoprincess View Post
You said it happened over night?? If you have a filter in the tank its possible that the fins were sucked in. Not sure....but is a thought. Also.....aquarium salts are awesome.....in either way....it will promote healing and u can see a change in their attitude within hours.
i am very much sure that the fins were not sucked in overnight and i say this with all respect to you but i think that its from bacteria in the water. well any other suggestions?

i know this because the fins were turning black and they were just very easily being ripped off. well they selfless were falling off not really ripped

Last edited by bettalover2033; 03-20-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:45 AM   #16 
Maryrox247

Well i think you should get him his own separate tank. (AT LEAST 1 gallon but go bigger if possible) As for filtration to be on the safe side maybe you could get a small sponge filter (They are good for not sucking fins and small fish. (they are used for fry tanks so trust me its safe) And to heal i recommend salt baths. Salt baths are when you have about a half gallon of water aside in a bucket or fish bowl if you prefer. (SEPARATE FROM HIS QUARANTINE TANK) and put about one teaspoon of aqaurium or epsom salt in. ( NO TABLE SALT) Then you leave him in to soak for about 5-10 mins (correct me if im wrong) and put him back in his tank. (note: Make sure water is as close to tank temp as to not shock him and cover the bucket/bowl in case he desides to jump) Good luck!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:54 AM   #17 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryrox247 View Post
Well i think you should get him his own separate tank. (AT LEAST 1 gallon but go bigger if possible) As for filtration to be on the safe side maybe you could get a small sponge filter (They are good for not sucking fins and small fish. (they are used for fry tanks so trust me its safe) And to heal i recommend salt baths. Salt baths are when you have about a half gallon of water aside in a bucket or fish bowl if you prefer. (SEPARATE FROM HIS QUARANTINE TANK) and put about one teaspoon of aqaurium or epsom salt in. ( NO TABLE SALT) Then you leave him in to soak for about 5-10 mins (correct me if im wrong) and put him back in his tank. (note: Make sure water is as close to tank temp as to not shock him and cover the bucket/bowl in case he desides to jump) Good luck!
thank you that is a good idea and all i have to do tomorrow is get the salt. and keep his tank clean thanks again!!
Old 03-20-2010, 08:12 AM   #18 
Neelie

tbh it looks like ammonia poisoning... its when ammonia spikes due to too much waste and eats away the fins. it also damages the gills. you should do a full water changed straight away and add some aquarium salt. keep the water warm too. bettas NEED heaters. put the goldfish in a seperate cold tank. there isnt anything else that can be done JUST extremely consistant, frequent water changes.
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #19 
Chicklet

Your Goldfish did this, DO NOT put him back with the goldfish unless you want him eaten next time!

For yrs I tried to keep betta's and other smaller fish with goldfish.
Things are usually ok as long as your goldfish are small,
But once they start to get bigger (which isn't very long at all, they will become a serious problem for your small fish.
If your smaller fishs "such as a betta" is flighty around goldfish they tend to survive longer,

The first time I had it happen I really didn't know what to think, Until I actually caught the goldfish eating the smaller fish.

I have goldfish here now that about 3 months ago I had to seperate, They just one day started,
The swimm along with their mouth going like they are half blind and will try to eat anything they can get in their mouth.

Just not A good idea to keep a betta with Goldfish, Their finnage alone makes them slower then other small fish, I'm really surprised all he lost was his finnage and not get devoured.

Last edited by Chicklet; 03-20-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

Besides that, bettas are tropical fish and goldfish like colder water.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote