Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #1 
Fishster

How do YOU choose Betta names?

People here are so creative when naming their fish. From exotic to meaningful names there's a lot of well named fish. But I was curious as to if people here follow a naming convention (a rule as to how to name fish, for example only using names from a specific language) or if people just find a name that suits the fish. I imagine everyone has their own methods to this.
Fishster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:47 AM   #2 
Polkadot

I don't really have a rule for naming my boys,but I do like to give them 'cutie pie' names,because they're so beautiful & funny.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #3 
VivianKJean

I just sort of name them? I start calling them different things until I find the right name. Sometimes it's easy. Like with Stella, I had her named picked out at the store. She looks like a Stella. I had a bit of time to name Ronnie because I rescued him from an art installation at my school. So I had met him and seen him and his name was picked out before I picked it up. Perry was tricky. He was hard to name. I finally decided on Perry cause he is periwinkle.
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #4 
Tish

Peaches was named by my boyfriend. Champion was the name of a character in my favourite books. Samson just because he looked so beautiful and it suited him. Spike because of his crowntail. Koda just sounded cute for my baby Betta. Duncan was a character in my favourite books. and finally Barclay is named after my favourite author Suzanne Barclay.

My Cat Logan was named after the wolverine.
I love to name things..lol
Tish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #5 
countyrd419

Betta Names

People on our site usually base their fishes' names on their coloring. Rusty is almost completely red hence his name. I have seen some fish names such as Sunkist for those fish who have some orange color in them.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I used to have a Marvel theme but those fish have dwindled in numbers now and it's more based on the personality of the fish or half the time they name themselves. I do have a bit of a M*A*S*H theme going on right now with Hawkeye, Pierce, and then I did have Radar as well for anyone who knows the show lol.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #7 
Islandgaliam

Marshawn;was purchased at Superbowl time (Seahawk fan) due to his color bluish turquoise depending on light...he now has red to him too. Sadly, Wilson was purchased before and had severe sbd and didn't make it.

Peechee; named for color

Bubblo; named for bubble nests, and bubbly personality...I swear he wags his fins, and he comes out from where ever he is when I tap on the tank..I bet he would talk if he could! And, he always comes to the front when I sit by the tank to read.

Prince Hendrix; Originally name Prince for Purple Haze the minute I saw him, then realized Prince was Purple Rain, so I kept both. And he has that active rocker personality with the flares!
Islandgaliam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #8 
Thothgirl

I tend to name mine by word association. Myr was grey when we got him so I ran thru mirror, smoke, lake, water, Oh! Sliver Myr from MtG! and Saki's was Blue, little boy blue, little boy, Nagasaki, Saki. Maxx was a pun (betta Maxx), and Fritz is a bad joke (Fritz! they shot Fritz! from wizards)

my orginal set of Cories were Ob,Fuse,Kate and Leopold. of which I only have leopold left.

Last edited by Thothgirl; 05-10-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Thothgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #9 
Eponine

I don't have my betta yet, but the names I'm thinking of (and my last betta's name) are all from anime. I'm not sure why, but Japanese names suit them. I think my ugh, once he comes home, is gonna be ragnarok (from should eater) or mikaasa (from attack on Titan) depending on which one suits the one I pick. My old one was named Ash (from pokemon, of course!) since he was a grey/red.
My tank is cycling now.
Eponine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #10 
PetMania

When I name a betta, I name them based on:
a)personality
b)coloring
c)tail type

And then I look at either human names, mythology, or Roman and Greek names. Every once in awhile I name one from a TV show or a Chinese Emperor/Empress.

I've had Apollo, Athena/Athos, and Hercules; Roman/Greek, Jing Jang and Chai; Chinese Empresses, Pheonix, Raven, and Merlin(Dragon); Mythology, Rosie and Bloo; Human names.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote