Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #11 
BettaLover1313

Hmm interesting question. I know I named Beta, betta just due to the fact that I was calling him betta from the beginning.

Merlin got his name due to his personality, and Dragoon got his partially based on his color, and partially due to wanting to keep a "Merlin" (BBC TV show) theme.

I'm hoping to have a new boy (will know for sure) later tonight, and I sort of have a name picked out, but I need to be sure it fits. I think, for the most part, I base names off their personalities.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #12 
AmbiantNight

For me it's a combination of personality and color. So far I have named only one of the new babies as it's the only one that has stuck out name wise. Purely a color based name I'm calling him Christmas. Solid green body with solid red fins. Fishkey got his name I don't know how. I said it one day while cleaning his tank and it stuck. Gypsy because she liked to hide to the point that I thought she had jumped out several times on me. And Luna because of her white moon face.
AmbiantNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #13 
Tree

I kinda name my bettas from their color, though I pick theme names for all of them. XD

all of mine got their names from fish we eat (sad lol). Sardine, Anchovy, Perch and Tuna.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #14 
KFoster

First betta I had years ago was Paco. I have no idea why it was just a name I liked when I was a kid. Probably was looking at a taco seasoning mix in the kitchen or something o.O
Second one was Sabboth because he was mostly black (Black Sabboth...har)

Now newly introduced again (over ten years later) to betta keeping, my man Ludwig Van Murphy (SIP) was named confusingly. First I wanted him to be Murphy (sea warrior in irish) but nobody else liked that name....so I went with Ludwig after Beethoven because I am a classical music fan. I kept the "van Murphy" because I thought it was ridiculous and cute. What a silly fish name. I loved it.

I was thinking of keeping a composer theme with my fish from now on...but the one I'm getting from Thailand is white/blue and he reminded me of Winter so I'm thinking that will be his name. So I guess that one is based on colour. I may change my mind though. Or I may get a second boy, maybe a Mozart ;)
KFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #15 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

I have the name picked out then go find a betta to match it (I'm bad)
My first I thought of 2/3 names then went out and got a betta, then ended up naming him something completely different.
My second I wanted to name ryuuji (dragon) so that name fit a lot of looks
I'm hoping to get archnologia next (the blue and black dragon of death)
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #16 
KatNDog292

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover1313 View Post
Hmm interesting question. I know I named Beta, betta just due to the fact that I was calling him betta from the beginning.

Merlin got his name due to his personality, and Dragoon got his partially based on his color, and partially due to wanting to keep a "Merlin" (BBC TV show) theme.

I'm hoping to have a new boy (will know for sure) later tonight, and I sort of have a name picked out, but I need to be sure it fits. I think, for the most part, I base names off their personalities.
Dragoon the Great! lolololol my brother's obsessed with him
KatNDog292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #17 
KatNDog292

Mine I named after the sky for no reason. They were originally all -light names (Twilight, Moonlight, etc.) but my current baby's Bluestar because she was such a deep blue color and had lots of shine to her tail and fins.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #18 
Fishster

My Turn

This thread has been so interesting to read, I love how almost everyone has their own logic to their naming madness. Now it's my turn.

I got my first Betta since High School (ugh I feel old) yesterday. I'd been mulling a handful of names, then a betta who didn't jive with any of them caught my eye. I finally settled on naming him Pascal, a name that's common in France, Spain, Germany and surrounding areas. I came by this name through watching Tangled lol (I'm a 30 yrold guy, oye lol) and that's the name of a green/blue chameleon in the movie. Then I researched the name, and this might be me being an ignorant American, but I often equate French and Spanish peope with passion about everything. And this betta is feisty as heck. And thus he is named Pascal.
Fishster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #19 
KatNDog292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishster View Post
This thread has been so interesting to read, I love how almost everyone has their own logic to their naming madness. Now it's my turn.

I got my first Betta since High School (ugh I feel old) yesterday. I'd been mulling a handful of names, then a betta who didn't jive with any of them caught my eye. I finally settled on naming him Pascal, a name that's common in France, Spain, Germany and surrounding areas. I came by this name through watching Tangled lol (I'm a 30 yrold guy, oye lol) and that's the name of a green/blue chameleon in the movie. Then I researched the name, and this might be me being an ignorant American, but I often equate French and Spanish peope with passion about everything. And this betta is feisty as heck. And thus he is named Pascal.
That's ok. I'm obsessed with Frozen. I've watched the movie 5 times. Number of screenshots/pictures? DONT GO THERE! Not giving away my age but obviously I'm not a 6-year-old lol
Old 05-11-2014, 11:03 PM   #20 
averyecho

My betta's names sort of just... come to me. Spirit is Spirit because it just seemed to suit him. The same goes for Smaug, Sapphire and Lightning.
averyecho is offline   Reply With Quote