Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2014, 12:07 AM   #21 
aselvarial

Our name theme actually started with Ares, our third betta. He was such a flare happy fish he constantly seemed like he was ready for war. Plus he was red and blue, so he became named Ares.
Apollo became renamed after the god of the sun (he's orange and blue and a sweetheart).
Lir was named after the celtic god of the sea, (he is a turquoise with dark blue and red, and is temperamental!).
Osiris is solid white, and was named after...yep, the Egyptian god of resurrection (or the dead and the afterlife). Mostly because he is so white he reminds me of a ghost.
And then there is Loki. He is the Norse trickster god. He was solid grey when we brought him home, and then as he got better, he turned red/blue and purple. Plus, Tom Hiddleston (who plays Loki in the Marvel movies) is GORGEOUS as Loki!
We also have the snails that are Hermes (Greek messenger god) because I thought that was humorous, and Pan, who is not a god at all, but he's gold and green and as he stars in A Midsummers Night Dream, the colors remind me of the moon, and grass, so a Midsummers Night.
aselvarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #22 
dieselthedemon

I name them after things that are meaningful to me. I named Highblood after Grand Highblood from Homestuck after finishing a halloween costume for him. Diesel was named for my love of cars and because of the little gilts of green on his black face that reminded me of motor oil. My sister helped me name Seuss. I love writing so the name sort of fit for him.
dieselthedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #23 
veilmist

Our betta's all have musical terms for names. Cadence (my fish), Largo, and Adagio (my mom's fish). It's a bit hard finding a musical terms that fit the personality sometimes, but my mother seems committed to theme haha. (My betta was a rescue that was already named, and I have yet to get another because of lack of space.)
veilmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:47 AM   #24 
pfenty

Jumper - I picked up his cup in PetSmart and shakes and wiggled like "don't manhandle me..." So I figured I'd just call him jumper cause I felt he would have jumped out at me if the lid wasn't on.

Carol - I wanted something more "humanly," I named Carol after an old mean bus driver I had in high school because both were sassy.

Rustafarrio - I love the Spanish language. This name was completely random. But it works out because he is a deep red color.

Deoxys - named after a Pokémon, in the movie "Destiny Deoxys" (I think) I loved the show when I was little and I just remember when I saw him in his cup I was like.. "Deoxys.. That's it!"
pfenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:04 AM   #25 
MameJenny

I named Opalo because of his color (cellophane). Opal sounded too feminine, so I added an o. I found out later that it means "opal" in Spanish.

Mr. Gold was named after a character in the show "Once Upon a Time". The character is also known as Rumplestiltskin. Since Mr. Gold is a copper dragonscale, it seemed like an appropriate name.

If I ever start a betta sorority, the girls will all have themed names.
MameJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #26 
rylovesriska

I like book character names, I have had a Luna and I now have a Cobriana. I also had a Sully but I don't know what I was thinking...
rylovesriska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #27 
Pippin

All the ones I have named are after famous historical people, or characters in books. I hav had 2 Cleopatras, a Victoria, Mark Antoney, and a Pippin.
Pippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #28 
Cara

All of them seem to have Harry Potter names except one of them, poor little Theta got left out of the theme somehow..

I have a Fred, George, and Ollivander.
Cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #29 
Lissa3116

All my bettas were a Disney inspired name. My last 2 were Pluto and Sharkbait but my Papa just recently passed away so I named my latest betta after him (Ed). For the future I will stick with the Disney ;)
Lissa3116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:44 PM   #30 
TealHoundogg

As for my bettas, my male veiltail was named Ted. No particular reason, just thought of the name and it stuck. My halfmoon betta that I got after him, Theo was named after Theo Huxatable from the Cosby show. Myra came from the character on Family Matters. Cole...was different. I didn't name him until the day after I brought him home. Names I had tried with him were Kenny, Rex and Charlie. Finally decided on Cole because of the black markings on his face looked like charcoal plus the character from the sitcom Martin came to mind.
TealHoundogg is offline   Reply With Quote