Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #1 
VivianKJean

Talking How did you get your fish?

I've noticed that a lot of people on here have interesting stories from how they got their fish. I would love to hear them (i'll share mine as well)! Im always interested in the stories that are behind these fish that make us all so happy.

Stella - When I got my own apartment, I really wanted some type of pet. I don't have a lot of money so I thought a betta would be a good choice. I have had them in the past and loved them very much. I had my parents send me my old 2.5 gallon tank (which was in storage at their house) along with some gravel, plants and my old heater. I went to petco and planned on getting a HM or CT. Then I saw her. She was labeled as a female VT but looked so tiny and very young. She was the sweetest thing. I noticed she had some faint stress stripes so I knew she was the one.

Ronnie - I'm an art school student and a guy in my major posted on Facebook saying that he had a betta fish in an art installation of his that needed a home. I waited a week and no one else responded to the post so finally I did and said I would see what I could do. I went to campus and found the art installation and was shocked with how the fish was being treated. He was in 10 gallon tank, which fine, but there were no decorations. He had a filter but no heater so the water was at 60 degrees F. I freaked out and called my parents and had them overnight me my other tank that I had at their place. I called the student who's installation it was and said I would be back in an hour to take the fish. I found out when I came back that the student had no idea that they needed a heater and had not cycled or cleaned the tank the entire 3 months the fish had been in the installation.

Perry - He wasn't planned. I went to petco to buy a spare heater in case of emergencies and some extra Omega One Pellets (am I the only one that buys extra fish things when they have extra money?). I walked by the betta's and saw this little EE that looked so sad. I had an extra 3 gallon tank at the time so I took him home. He was so scared to come out and say hi to me at first. Now he is so friendly and I love coming home to him.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #2 
Islandgaliam

None of my 4 betta tanks were planned. Last Fall, I decided to start a tank with guppies because my computer stand is in a closet with no door in the living room. I wanted to add light to the area, and I haven't had a tank in 10 years. I learned quickly how guppies multiply! Luckily, I have a friend who recently set up a 35 gallon tank and they all went to a good home.

So, with an empty tank, I went to find something else, discovered betta's and thought they would be easy as that is what I have always heard about them.

Then I found that you can't have just one! Never knew a fish could have such character! And I love all the different colors :)

Sadly, I lost several bettas in the process for many different reasons, and I am sure I drove the people at the pet stores nuts with all my questions..I got very frustrated with all the different answers to the same questions, and thankfully found this forum.

My Betta's Bubblo, Marshawn, Peechee and Prince Hendrix appear to be doing well, and I now know more about bettas and aquarium plants than I ever thought I would need to..so much more to learn..and loving every minute of this :) My computer closet is now a Betta Center! And, if my set-up could support the weight, they would all have a 10 gallon tank. The only one thing I don't like about bettas is that you can't have one tank with a rainbow of males in every color.
Islandgaliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #3 
magikb3anz

I got my very first betta Bubbles for my ninth birthday as a present from one of my friends. He was a blue VT and he lived in a small bowl. (9 year old me didn't know better.) He actually spent his first few days living in a brandy glass because my parents couldn't find the fish bowl I had as a kid . (I had a goldfish when I was 4). He lived to be 4 years old in his tiny bowl.

I got my second betta Ash last March from my local pet store Nature Center. as a reward for finally getting a job. He's my DT and I love him to pieces. My sister helped me pick him out and I named him Ash because he's a dark grey colour with red wash. I've had him ever since. I chose him because he was one hyper little guy always swimming and opening and closing his mouth like he was trying to talk to me.

My third betta was named Brock. He passed away this winter :(. I got him earlier this year as a surprise birthday present for myself. I guess he was a bit of an impulse buy since I was coming home from school and I randomly decided to call my friend and ask is she wanted to help me pick out a betta since I had been wanting another one for a while. (My mom wasn't too thrilled about it) My friend chose it since his fins were yellow and that's he favourite colour.

My fourth and final betta Misty was the biggest impulse buy of the three. I bought her this November. I went to my pet store to buy some more fish food but came home with her instead. She was very pale with tons of stripes but now she has a brown body with red and green fins. She's also tiny so I'm guessing she's still pretty young. Regardless of her size I think she's absolutely adorable.
magikb3anz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #4 
BettaLover1313

Beta-He was planned, as I had always wanted a fish as a child, and my friend had a betta that she absolutely adored (still didn't see what was so special about them at the time, but they seemed easy to care for). I decided to go into Wal-Mart and purchased a royal blue CT with a black head. Right from the start I was appalled at how the cashier handled my new friend, and I was determined to take good care of him. Unfortunately, I didn't know any better and purchased a tiny bowl, some gems, and a rough, fake coral decoration, and flake food for a betta along with some water conditioner. I adored his antics, including my personal favorite of his: borrowing under the gems. Unfortunately, Beta only lived one month, and I decided fish keeping wasn't for me.

Merlin (red VT)-I did not plan on purchasing him at all from the same Wal-Mart I bought Beta from (one near my college). I was actually there to purchase a plant, however, they didn't have the type I was looking for, so I moseyed over to the fish section. I was sorely missing having a dog, and I knew I wasn't doing well emotionally (having had a breakdown either that day or the day before...can't remember). So, I looked at all the bettas, wanting to be sure I picked out a healthy one (only knew that the betta should be active, nothing else). A red blur caught my attention, and then when I picked him up, he glared at me. So my Siamese Fighting Fish came home with me, and even though he's had his ups and downs, Merlin has been a great companion for over a year now, and he's mellowed as he's gotten older.

Dragoon (dark copper DSPK)-He was sort of planned...sort of. I went to PetSmart with a friend, intending to only buy a betta if it was black or white, and only if it had a calm temperament, since I wanted to house the new betta in a divided tank with Merlin. Low and behold, a black looking betta, with a calm temperament was sitting on the shelves, and so Dragoon came home with me while my friend got a spunky red, white, and blue HM.

New Boy-I had absolutely no intention of getting another betta, but after seeing a lovely MG (or very close to it) boy at PetSmart today my friend is picking him up for me tonight and keeping him for a week as I finish up my last week at college. Luckily, I showed this new boy to my mom and talked it over with her, and since I'll be home, I could get him and upgrade to a 10 gallon tank (to house all three bettas/so they can all go to college with me). I'm very excited for the end of next week when I'll have my new boy! My PetSmart never has bettas with his coloring, so you can imagine my excitement . (I'm a horrible betta addict...)
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #5 
pfenty

Rustafarrio and Deoxys weren't planned but Jumper and Carol were.
pfenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #6 
Sathori

When my work started carrying bettas, I didn't think much of it. I wanted to make sure they were healthy at work, but was never really enthused to get one until I saw a purple VT. I had never seen a purple betta before (only your classic reds and blues) and to make things even more enchanting, he had a blue "birth mark" on his back and his tail was in a shape I had never seen before. I later found out, through this site, that he was a VT with some tail damage.

I later discovered Gajeel, my metallic HM, and couldn't leave him to be scooped up by some neglectful customer xD Then along came Gray, Natsu, Laxus, Gildarts, and now two other unnamed boys...

Through bettas I also discovered the joys of fish keeping, and also have albino corydoras, neon tetras and pygmy corydoras in my 10 gallon tanks (I have multiple). I have collected all these fish in less than a year XD

But this is Pantherlily, the purple VT that started it all, when I first got him.
Name:  IMG_3561.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  60.3 KB
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #7 
VivianKJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathori View Post
When my work started carrying bettas, I didn't think much of it. I wanted to make sure they were healthy at work, but was never really enthused to get one until I saw a purple VT. I had never seen a purple betta before (only your classic reds and blues) and to make things even more enchanting, he had a blue "birth mark" on his back and his tail was in a shape I had never seen before. I later found out, through this site, that he was a VT with some tail damage.

I later discovered Gajeel, my metallic HM, and couldn't leave him to be scooped up by some neglectful customer xD Then along came Gray, Natsu, Laxus, Gildarts, and now two other unnamed boys...

Through bettas I also discovered the joys of fish keeping, and also have albino corydoras, neon tetras and pygmy corydoras in my 10 gallon tanks (I have multiple). I have collected all these fish in less than a year XD

But this is Pantherlily, the purple VT that started it all, when I first got him.
Attachment 352818
OMG he's gorgeous! i've never been much into the red and blue bettas. I also like the more different ones. My very first betta (when I was 6) was purple and I named him Purples (hahaha i was 6 remember). My Stella is blue but its a dark blue almost black. Ronnie I think is turning into a marble since his colours are changing drastically.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #8 
ZeesTyphoon

I got my original boy Typhoon after we moved back to the states. He was part housewarming gift, part birthday gift, part missed my dog so much (had to leave him in Japan when we moved) and had a mighty need to take care of something. Sadly, Typhoon died the day after I got my dog back. :C

Tsunami I got after Typhoon died. I went to the pet store to get some things for my dog a few days after I got him back and was thinking about a new fish since I had a tank all set up. He caught my eye the moment I walked in the store.

Monsoon and Jishin were both impulse buys. I saw them at the store and just could not go home with out them! Haha.
ZeesTyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #9 
averyecho

Wow, where do I start?

Well, I never expected to get my first betta, Amethyst. My dad had agreed to take me to the pet store to pick out a small pet. I wanted a dwarf hamster but he said he didn't have enough cash on hand, and I could either get something cheaper, like a fish, or wait until the next day after he went to the bank. Naturally, being the impatient 7-year-old I was, I went for the fish. I was in the fish isle and when I saw Amethyst sitting in his little betta cup I instantly fell in love with him. I got him a heated 1.5 gallon with some live plants and did lots of research on his species when we got home. I spent the next six years with him, getting him lots of new things along the way, and I would still have him if we didn't give him to a friend.

I got Spirit two years into caring for Amethyst. I wasn't planning to get him. I was just at Petco to get cat food when I noticed a lonely little plakat on the shelf. He wasn't very attractive at all, with weirdly orange fins, a dark blue body, and ugly black splotches all over. His water still had a blue tint to it too, even though all the other bettas had clear water, so anything good looking about him was distorted. But something about him just forced me to take him home. He looked nothing like pretty Amethyst, and I found myself wondering, why did I get this fish? But I soon learned that it's not always appearance that counts in a betta, because Spirit has the COOLEST personality of any betta I have ever met, and he's really smart too.

Smaug was #3 and when I brought him home my mom thought I had gone totally nuts. (Two is not enough, lol) Other than that though, there isn't really anything special about when I got him.

About 6 months ago my friend's dog passed away and she was very upset. I sent Amethyst to her in the hopes the personality-filled little fish would keep her company. (BTW she's much happier now, Amethyst has really made a big impact on her life!) In doing so I found myself with an empty tank. I went to the petstore wanting a veiltail and saw a beautiful blue cambodian CT girl who upon seeing me tried to swim out of the cup to greet me. Thus, I took her home pronto.

Finally, Lightning was a royal blue and white butterfly HM with a mild case of fin rot (which is thankfully slowly improving now) that I rescued from a friend who likes pets but ironically doesn't want to take care of them. Needless to say she got a really long lecture on proper betta care before I snatched him up, because he was swimming in a filthy, half-filled vase with ice cold water and a dead plant looming above, and according to my friend, the few times she fed him he got goldfish food. Shame he had to go through that because he is a really amazing betta.

And I think that's it. Probably will have more to add to this thread though later on though, if I know myself. lol
averyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #10 
NeptunesMom

I got my first betta fish when I was around 5 years old. A family friend who would watch me during the day had a betta fish, and I asked my mom for one too. He was a blue VT, but I don't remember his name. He lived for many years, and through a huge learning curve. My second betta fish I got when I was maybe 7 or 8, my first fish was still alive and we got a 20g tank. I wanted a fish for the tank, so my mom gave me a red betta fish for the tank. I don't remember his name either, but he did not live for more than a few years.

Over the next few years I had several betta fish. My mom liked to buy the vases with flowers at the top and the fish in the bottom for me. We didn't know any better. Most of those fish only lasted about a year or two. There were quite a few of them over the years. When I was around 16 I received another vase with a fish in it, but this time I put him into a bowl (I decided I didn't like the look of the vase, not that he was in a bad habitat because I still didn't know any better). His name was "Cow", and I was very attached to him. He died after a couple years.

My most interesting story was when I was 18 I went to see Phantom of the Opera (the film, but I also LOVE the musical) at the local theater with a friend. Afterwards we wandered over to the nearby PetCo to look at the animals. I fell in love with a blue fish that looked like my recently departed "Cow". I named him Gerard (my Phantom fans will get it). I had Gerard for a couple years, and when he died I swore off fish.

Then in Dec 2011 I started working at PetSmart, and of course they put the betta fish right in front of the register. In Feb 2012 I kept feeling like someone was staring at me while I was working the register. I finally noticed a little cellophane betta boy who was starting right at me. No mater where I walked, if he could see me he was looking at me. I walked over to him, picked him up, and hid him under my register (I did get permission from my manager). I took him home that night with me and named him Neptune. So after 6 years of being "bettaless" I brought another one home. This time, they multiplied quickly. I had started lurking on this site several months before I brought him home (to learn about bettas to help customers), but once I learned how to treat illnesses I could've leave sick fish behind. I'm down to 10 now, and I'll probably not bring anymore home. My Neptune died this week, and it's really killed the passion I had. But, if I see a fish in need I'm sure he/she will come home with me.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, petco, rescue fish, stories, your fish