Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #1 
Sella

Talking Simple questions...

Hi, new here and very excited.
I've got a beautiful betta current in a one gallon tank, which I upgraded today to a five gallon.

He hasn't moved in yet, as I have a few questions..probably stupid ones, but since this is the prettiest betta boy I've ever owned, and want to care for him as well as I can I've got a couple questions.

So my new tanks a five gallon..I don't particularly want to get a filter but I will if i MUST. I realize he needs a heater and I picked a TOPFIN one up today but I'm returning it tomorrow because all the reviews I read were terrible.
I'm thinking a 50 watt. This should be okay from what I've read on here so far...yes/no?
Filter yes/no?
I've got some live plants, and I'll get mroe tomorrow when I return the heater.
Should I place him in the tank once set up with all the water he's currently in?
Should I puyt him in first, THEN put the heater in and get it going? This seems logical to me, but I thought I'd confirm with smarter betta owners.

and my last question is about his coloring, but I'll wait until I get some pictures... He's cappucino colored and I've never seen one like him before so I was curious as to what everyone would classify him as.
Ok I think thats it. THanks for the advice!!
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:52 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. A 5 gallon tank will be perfect for a betta. You don't HAVE to have a filter but if you cycle the tank, you'll definitely need one. A 50 watt heater will be fine. I recommend a Marineland stealth visitherm. It's supposed to be one of the best heaters around. You can use fresh water instead of what he's already in. I would put the heater in before you put him in the tank. Give the heater about 10 minutes to acclimate then plug it in. I hope this helps! :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #3 
Sella

Thanks for the reply!
So yes..put the heater in, then put my finned friend in..but should I already have the temperature up before he goes in, or let it adjust with him in there.

How long typically does it take for a heater to raise the temperature? I know this is a lame question that depends on many factors, but should I stick around for a whole day to monitor it to make sure it doesn't go crazy and make betta soup, or does a heater typically get up to desired temperature fairly quickly. I don't know if this makes sense. hahaha sorry for my mumblings...
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:01 AM   #4 
doubleatheman

A 50W heater should raise the temp of a 5 gallon tank by about 3 - 4*f per hour.

Don't ask me about the math behind that guess, just at my 12 gallon heats about 1-2*f per hour on a 50w, my 1 gallon heats 3*f per hour on my 7.5 watt.

So that's a fair estimate.

If the tank is the correct temp after 24 hours of running the tank with the heater on, then the heater is fine.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:07 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

I have topfin heaters and they work wonderfully. I've never had a single problem with mine. A heater will take a while to warm water up.. depending on what temperature the water is when you put it in the tank. I would make sure the water is at the temp you want before you begin to acclimate the fish.

IMO a 5 gallon should be cycled and have a filter. Unless you want to do a 100% water changes a week to keep the ammonia gone I would cycle. I highly recommend you cycle before adding you fish.. but unfortunately it takes 2-6 weeks so you may want to consider fish in cycling... but it is a lot more work than fishless cycling.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:14 AM   #6 
doubleatheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I have topfin heaters and they work wonderfully. I've never had a single problem with mine. A heater will take a while to warm water up.. depending on what temperature the water is when you put it in the tank. I would make sure the water is at the temp you want before you begin to acclimate the fish.

IMO a 5 gallon should be cycled and have a filter. Unless you want to do a 100% water changes a week to keep the ammonia gone I would cycle. I highly recommend you cycle before adding you fish.. but unfortunately it takes 2-6 weeks so you may want to consider fish in cycling... but it is a lot more work than fishless cycling.
I gotta read up on cycling, (I got the sticky link form tfk) I'm still doing full water changes on mine every 3 days, each time I test for ammonia, none is detected.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:26 AM   #7 
1fish2fish

What test are you using? What size is the tank, how stocked is it?
Old 03-21-2010, 12:32 AM   #8 
doubleatheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
What test are you using? What size is the tank, how stocked is it?
API ammoinia test kit (liquid test)

API nitrite test kit (liquid test)

Both tests return back 0 ppm

(ya know the kits with "doc welfish")

1 Betta is the only thing in the tank, 2 gallon tank.

We have cycled our 1 gallon tanks before, so I know 2 gal is possible. (or atleast our Betta seemed happy and lively with once per month water changes (remember this was back when we didnt know much :( . I assume the tank cycled, because we were testing for ammonia back then too. Never had readings above .5ppm)
Old 03-21-2010, 12:45 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

Even once you are cycled you will need to do TWO water changes a week.. 50% each time. Once a month is way too little for a small tank and I think only tanks 50+ gallons that are heavily planted should only get monthly water changes.

Check and make sure your tests aren't expired. The last 4 numbers of the lot number are the exp date. For instance if the lot ends in 1109 the test expired in Nov. 2009.

A 2 gallon with one fish should start to show ammonia quickly.. maybe not in the first few days but definitely by the end of the week. Don't do a water change until you get an ammonia reading. When you get a reading do a 10-20% change.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #10 
xxabc

I'm thinking a 50 watt. This should be okay from what I've read on here so far...yes/no?

I think 50 watt is fine~ I have a 25watt and it works very decently. Listen to the others on recommended brands!

Filter yes/no?

Well it certainly makes life easier in terms of water changes. Plus, i would say it would be very, very, very difficult to cycle without it. I wouldn't exactly say its NECESSARY, but more like past recommended.

I've got some live plants, and I'll get mroe tomorrow when I return the heater.

Hopefully you have experience with life plants? :) ? Just curious, haha.

Should I place him in the tank once set up with all the water he's currently in?

As in the water from a pet store? Nah, just acclimate him with your own dechlorinated tap water. His water will probably be dirty, icky, ammonia, diseased filled...exaggerated, but meh. :) Plus he will have to face your water eventually.

Should I puyt him in first, THEN put the heater in and get it going? This seems logical to me, but I thought I'd confirm with smarter betta owners.

Get the heater up and running first. Then FLOAT him onto the water to get his temperature to warm up, and for him to get used to it. That's what i would do.

Have fun with your new betta :) And I'm terrible witih coloring, but I think a picture would really be helpful in things like this~
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote