Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #1 
xswornxoffxjello

Should I be worried?

My fish is in a 5gal tank with plastic&live plants, a heater at around 80F, a filter, 2 corys and just gave it a 100% change today. A couple weeks ago, he stopped eating entirely. I tried giving him treats and cleaning the tank more often, but I only just today got him to eat something. Not as much as his normal (unsatiable) appetite, but something. Now he appears to be glued to the heater. That is, instead of swimming around and around like he normally does, he won't leave that corner, right next to the top of the water. He's been like that for a couple of days now and it got to the point where I got out the fish net and chased him around just to see him move. It's starting to worry me. What can I do?
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

How long have the corys been in there with him? Sometimes bettas like having company and sometimes they hate it. In the wild they're loners until it's breeding time. Do you have a spare tank? He might feel overwhelmed with the other fish in there. I'd put him in another tank by himself, put some aquarium salt in and just watch him. If he starts eating and acting up again, you'll know that he would rather be by himself. If he's still gloomy, than he could be sick.

Is there anything abnormal about his appearance? (Is his stomach big, ripped fins? etc) Bettas also love hiding places and plants to rest on. It could be that he doesn't have enough places to hide so he doesn't feel comfortable. Could you take a picure of the tank? I would also take the plastic plants out and put silk plants in. A lot of plastic plants will cut and rip at their fins. You can run them over pantyhose or toilet paper and if it rips, than it'll rip his fins.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #3 
Chicklet

How old is he?
When they start to get old and near death, They often hang close to the heater.

Last edited by Chicklet; 03-20-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #4 
xswornxoffxjello

He's only about two years old--mine usually live for around five years on average and he was fine until a few days ago. His fins are fine and I've never paid much attention to his stomach before, so I don't have much to go by, but it might be slightly larger than normal. The corys have been there for a week and I haven't noticed any signs of aggression, but I could move them to my other 5gal that has 2 corys and a betta, especially if I use aquarium salt.
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote