Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #1 
balloonmollies3

Question I need advice on giving betta as present

Ok my little brothers birthday is coming up soon. He is alot younger then me he is 9 years old. He is turning 10. He has always wanted a BETTA FISH! But my mom never let him get one because she thought they would be too hard for him to keep. But he has persisted ever since. I am going to give him a betta fish for his birthday. I want it to be simple but i am giving him a tank and plants all that stuff including a fish/s. I need some advice on what is best and what gender how many all that good stuff. I just want the betta fish/s to be happy and my little brother to be overjoyed. Any advice would help alot!!
balloonmollies3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #2 
Nutt007

Males are aggressive, so you could only have one. Females on the other hand, you could put them together. Not in a bowl though. At least 10 gallons and the only way the females won't fight is if you put 4 or more. I have read on one of the stickies on this forum that 6 females are good.

Male: (Excuse the giant picture, Photobucket is being a jerk)

Female:

Last edited by Nutt007; 03-20-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Big pictures!
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #3 
balloonmollies3

Thanks so with females you probably want more than just 2 so they will get along better and then with males you cant put them with other males right?
Old 03-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

What size tank do you plan? and do you have bettas or have kept bettas to help him be successful?
You want him to be successful and I would recommend one fish at a time either male or female...not both and not more than one...and he and you need to be ready to make daily to every other day water changes....success is the key....its not much fun to have lots of problems in the beginning.....but you will be there to help him...right?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

I don't advise taking on a sorority for your first fish. People who have kept bettas for years have difficulty with sororities... they're a house of cards that can topple at any minute.

I think a 3-5 gallon tank kit (with light and filter) and ONE male or female betta would be a great choice. Make sure you do a lot of research on choosing a good betta, how to cycle your tank and keep your water quality good, what food to feed your betta, etc.

Here is an items list I think you need:

Tank with a lid and light
heater (a must)
filter (only if you are going to cycle)
gravel
silk plants
a cave of some sort
pellet food
aquarium salt (for occasional illness)
a net
a soft sponge to scrub the side of the aquarium occasionally
bucket marked "fish only"
water dechlorinator

It would be really great if you got the tank and let your brother open that and then take him to the store to pick his own fish (with your guidance).. that way he gets the surprise of the tank and the enjoyment of picking out his own fish :)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:11 AM   #6 
doubleatheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post

It would be really great if you got the tank and let your brother open that and then take him to the store to pick his own fish (with your guidance).. that way he gets the surprise of the tank and the enjoyment of picking out his own fish :)
Man if I was a 10 year old that would make my day.... err it still would for me now too.

Though... you want to run the tank 24hr before getting the fish... humm.... I dont have an answer for that one.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:40 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with 1fish2fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #8 
SaylorKennedy

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30934

The link to my thread for when I gave my 10 year old cousin his birthday present! It lists and there are pictures of everything I got him.

From experience, just one fish will be the best starting out. And I agree with what 1f2f said, a 3-5 gallon will be perfect.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #9 
balloonmollies3

Thank you all so much. I am going to be with him so I can guide him through all the steps and how to take care of the fish and changing the water and feeding. My friend recomended a feeding chart so he can mark off different times he has feed the fish. His birthday is tommorrow and I think i know what i am going to do. My mother is taking him out the so I am going to set up the fish tank somewhere where he won't find it so it can run for 24 hours then i will send him on a scavenger hunt till he finds then I can bring him to the store and let him pick out his own betta fish!! Thank everyone for your ideas and advice lets hope he loves it!!

I am going to be there with him so he can learn all the stuff about changing the water and i will help him do most of it but I am planning on getting him a 3 gallon tank is that ok you know for a betta fish to live in?

Last edited by dramaqueen; 03-21-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

A 3 gallon is perfectly fine. IMHO its the best size for bettas.. some would disagree but I think its a great size and a great starter tank.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote