Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #1 
intyel94

Sick betta. Please help :(

I bought a castle with the silk plants at petco yesterday and put the new plant into the aquarium after changing water (like I always do).
Ivan II (my fish) spent the night with the new plant and today I found him almost not moving, with folded tail, stayed at the bottom of aquarium, didn't eat at all :(. So I put new spring water at the other bowl, put betta conditioner and moved Ivan into that bowl. After he ve been placed in the bowl, he had some bubbles out of his mouth and now (after approx 30 min) he is slowly moving, looks little better, but still with bad looking tail.

My questions:
- What can I do to help my fish?
(Do I need to fill aquarium with the spring water)?

- Is it possible that the plant caused sickness....?
(We had 2 plastic plants before and it was absolutely no problems
But I heard that silk plants are better for bettas + they like privacy and hiding places which my new castle plant had... I also asked petco
associate if the plant is good for my fish. He said: yas...)

- What plants can you recommend for my betta male crown-tail fish in the future?

Thank you for help.
intyel94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #2 
xxabc

I would definitely recommend silk plants, or live plants if you know how to take care of it enough. Did you wash it? Perhaps it came with some kind of disease?? Never heard of that, but it's always possible.

Don't use spring water, use tap water. Contains more minerals and vitamins necessary for your betta fish. Spring is more lacking. And especially now, since he's sick, he could use all the nutrients and etc. he can get. But with tap water, a dechlorinator is very necessary. And in the temporary bowl (temporary, right?) bring over some of his original plants so he feels a bit more comfortable.

Did he injure himself inside the castle? And could you explain the "bubbles out of his mouth"? Are they completely clear? Whitish? Foamy-ish? Etc. Try to give as many, many details as possible, in case he does have a disease.

And how often do you change the water? What do you treat with? Size of the original tank? Heated/Filtered? Cycled?

Do plenty of water changes in the meanwhile, to help get better, but try not to stress him out in the process.

Last edited by xxabc; 03-17-2010 at 10:19 PM.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #3 
intyel94

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
I .
I change water every week. I have 6 gallon aquarium.
I put tap water and it stands around 24 hours before I change it. I also adding betta conditioner in the water for 1 hour and then put my fish in the new water. He was healthy before I added that new plant and left in aquarium for 1 night.
My tank has filter, I do not use my heater since temperature in aquarium is 70-74 F.
The bubbles he had were clear and only couple times. I don't think he injured himself...He didn't realy went into castle, at least I didn't notice...
His body looks not injured..
He acted weiredly - stayed at the bottom of aquarium, didn't eat yesterday at all, tail looked bad, didn't move after I put a new silky castle plant.... I don't know why.. I rinsed the plant before to put in the tank...

Now in his temporary bowl he looks much better, little bit moving.
He ate 2 pellets this morning.. that's all....
Old 03-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #4 
xxabc

BTW, leaving it out isn't necessary, you can just add in the dechlor. and go.

The temperature should really be aroud ~78F, he's a little tropical fish. 70-74 isn't too warm, and the colder it is, the more susceptible he is to disease. But honestly, I wouldn't expect something like ethis.

You washed it with tap water? MAYBE the amount of tap you use (with chlorine) may have affected him. But again, I wouldn't expect that, it's not that much tap water. But who knows, he could be... "poisoned" by the tap water the silk came with. Not sure if poisoned wouuld be the right word, but not sure what else to say.

Good luck~
Old 03-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #5 
Neelie

first off, id raise the temp. defo too cold atm.

secondly, from just rinsing a plant there cant be a harmful amount of chlorine on the plant... i rinse my plant under tap also, and my water has alot of chlorine in it, but NEVER had troubles with that. just shake it well.

he might be a lil stressed bout the new plant/castle. he may get used to it after a while.

id just raise the temp and add some aquarium salt. leave the tank as it is and keep the water changing routine exactly the same. also, once a week in a 6g with filter seems a little much tbh.
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #6 
intyel94

Looks like our fish is getting better. Ate 3 more pellets @ the evening and looks good.

I still have a questions:

- How often should I change the water in 6 gallon tank:
every week or every 2 weeks?
(Someone told us it shouldn't be often)
- Should I change 100% of water or 50% or less?
- What a good betta fish plants I can buy?

thank you for help.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #7 
xxabc

Well is it cycled? I have a cycled 5 gallon, divided. I do 50% at least weekly, sometimes twice a week on impulse. How would it be bad for the tank? I know my bettas don't get stressed out during the changes, though.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #8 
intyel94

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
Well is it cycled? I have a cycled 5 gallon, divided. I do 50% at least weekly, sometimes twice a week on impulse. How would it be bad for the tank? I know my bettas don't get stressed out during the changes, though.
When I change water I put betta in separate bowl, may be I shouldn' do it, it stress her out..... I will change water like 50% 1-ce a 2 weeks when betta will be in a bowl.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #9 
xxabc

Yeah, keep her inside. And in a bowl , you really should be doing every other day, not every two weeks.