Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #1 
bettalove23

How much to feed my King?

Hey guys, I have a king betta. So far I have been feeding him 4 pellets in the morning and 4 pellets at night and then I fast him on Sunday.
Should I feed him more pellets? I have 3 different brands I feed. Should I take away some? He seems like a skinnier King than the ones I see at Petco..and I feel as if I'm underfeeding him. Heres some pictures:

A couple weeks ago:

When I first got him:

bettalove23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your betta is very pretty! I feed my bettas 2 pellets in the morning and 2 at night and they aren't king bettas so I think 4 pellets twice a day sounds reasonable.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #3 
vaygirl

That's about what I feed my king. Yours is very, very pretty. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #4 
bettalove23

Thanks everybody!
So I'm feeding him a good amount?
I'm trying to get him to grow :) aha
Old 03-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #5 
doggyhog

Oh my GOOOOSH!!!!!!!!! Can I please have him!?!! He is S T U N N I N G !

Does he live in a bowl? King bettas grow pretty big, so I'd recommend at least a 5 gallon tank, most people recommend a 10g though.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:25 PM   #6 
bettalove23

No, he lives in a 10 gal, I just put him there because I found a crack in my 10 gal :( But he's in his normal tank now :)
and thank you very much! haha.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:28 PM   #7 
doggyhog

Oh OK! Just making sure.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:41 AM   #8 
ecoprincess

Wow....twice a day!? Really?

The lady at the local pet store told me to feed him only once a day and as much as the size of his eye ball. My freddy gets fed once a day in the morning, two small pieces of flakes (the size of his mouth) and one 1/4 blood worm. He fasts on Sunday.

Ive been noticing he was so skinny....but awhile ago he got pretty sick...i thought maybe swim bladder, but as i learn more about betta health i think it was b/c i wasnt doing full water changes enough.

So should i start feeding him twice a day? Do you think it could cause swim bladder if i do? I always think i can see it popping out.....maybe its b/c the poor guy is so skinny. :(

(reason i dont feed him pellets is that it seems he has a hard time swallowing them as well and passing them)

Have i starved my freddy?? :/ I always just thought he was a "little guy". Hmmm....

now what?
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:55 AM   #9 
bettalove23

I feed mine twice a day because I find it easier for him to digest when I feed him half his meal at a time so he's not completely bloated. But that's just my preference...you don't have to feed him twice a day. I feed him 8 pellets in total so I try to spread it out. If he's looking skinny, then maybe you aren't feeding enough. I usually feed my regular bettas twice a day..

I feed my king more because he's bigger, I would suggest feeding him more instead of just the small amount you usually give him. What kind of pellets have you tried? Maybe they were too big possibly?
Old 03-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

Some people feed twice a day. Some once.. I've even heard of breeders only feeding once a week (but I don't recommend that).

For a king I would feed just like a small betta.. the size of their eye. I feed twice a day and do not fast unless a fish is constipated (which never happens).
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote