Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #1 
FancyFins

What's it worth?

My 20g long went haywire again. I have no idea what is wrong but it killed my corys and my bettas were acting funny again so I moved all the girls into my moms 55g and they are doing good so far. Echo has been in there for almost a week now and is doing MUCH better. Turns out she is just a snob. So I'm tempted to move Eros's five gallon to the table and clear room on that wall and sell the 20g.

But I have no idea what to ask for it. The tank was $35 new. I have a 100w heater, thermometer, gravel, decoration or two, plants, and two filters (will take the cartridges out and rinse them out good with hot water) One filter I have used for about a month and the other for about a week. Everything else it pretty much new. Obviously I am going to lose money but what would be a good asking price on craigslist? Tanks see, to run higher around here than most other places :/
FancyFins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:08 AM   #2 
vaygirl

Did you do a fishless cycle before you added all the fish in? I saw it's only 6 days old. What were the water parameters?

If you were closer I'd take it off your hands. :D
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #3 
FancyFins

No fishless cycle, I had 5 girls in the 10 gallon, I moved them and their filter to the 20 and then added a new filter and one more girl. The ammonia is at 0 so I'm pretty sure the nitrite has spiked but I don't think that is what the problem is at all. I kept up with partial WC every other day.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:29 AM   #4 
vaygirl

The thing with corys is that they're sensitive to changing water conditions and they need an established tank that's been up for a while. If you were only testing for ammonia you don't know what your cycle was doing. It's important to test for everything.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:13 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

I agree with VG.

As far as craigslist. I would be willing to pay $50 for all of that.. if I had a job I might be willing to pay $75 as long as it came with all the stuff your offering and it all worked.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:27 AM   #6 
doubleatheman

For a 20 with all of the good equipment. $75 sounds good.

I looked at my local CL a few days ago nothing under 100gal is listed. I think 10-20 gal tanks go fast on CL
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #7 
FancyFins

1fish2fish- I was aware of the corys sensitivity but my first two did so well in my ten gallon that I figured with the frequent 50% water changes I could swing it. I don't think THAT is what killed them.. I think it is whatever the heck is wrong with this tank. As for the ammonia and such, I was limited on money at the time I started setting up shop (setting up tanks is expensive as you all know) So I figured I could use the ammonia for starters and then get the rest so the ammonia test is all I have on hand atm.

I was thinking about $75 dollars so I think I will try that. If it sells I will set up my ten gallon again, if not I guess I will tear it down and start over.