Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #1 
sonja

Betta died, but can't figure out why...

Hello everyone, first post and unfortunately not the best news...

We bought two female bettas just about a week ago, and keep them in separate approx. 2 gallon tanks. The temperature in both tanks ranges between 71 to 78 degrees. Panda was really energetic when we first got her, but since day 1 she refused to eat the standard pellets. I got some flakes today thinking that might help, but she didn't eat those either. Since perhaps 2 days ago she started getting more lethargic, especially earlier today. About half an hour or so before she died, she started swimming around on her side, and it seemed as though she was having difficulty breathing. She just died a while ago and we have no idea why... she didn't eat for about 5-6 days, but otherwise all the tank conditions seem to have been standard. Kuro (the other fish) is still doing fine - in fact initially she seemed to be the more lethargic but has gotten more and more lively, and eats the standard pellets as well. Does any one know what the cause of Panda's death could have been? Any advice for the future maintenance of our fish very much appreciated. :)
sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

She could've come to you with a disease. How many times a week were you cleaning the 2G? It should be cleaned at least twice a week 100% (taking everything out of the tank and cleaning it). They need a consistent temperature of 76-80 degrees F. A lot of heaters will automatically keep the tank at 78 degrees F.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #3 
Chicklet

Most bettas you buy in these small cups are half starved to begin with and then couple that with the no water change for sometimes weeks on end, the stressful journeys they have been thru.
Then you take them home and offer them something they have never had before or doesn't appeal to them,
Your just prolonging their troubles by trying to force them to eat something they maybe are not use to or don't want,
When we are sick or don't feel well, Will we eat just anything? No

For that reason alone I always give any new bettas I get WHATEVER they will eat, It gives them strength, substance something to get the energy and will to survive,

Once they have actually eaten a few days or so in a row then maybe try feeding what you want them to eat.
I know maybe that's not possible for everyone,... But it sure does make a difference in your betta springing back quicker...

If she was active when you got her then she should have survived.
Parasites are sometimes a problem as well.

Last edited by Chicklet; 03-20-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #4 
1fish2fish

It could have been several different things, there could be something wrong with your water, she could have been sensitive to the temperature fluctuations... like BFC said they need a constant temp.. fluctuations are bad, she could have been sick to begin with, and its possible she starved to death but I find that extremely unlikely.. bettas aren't stupid.. if they're hungry enough they'll learn to eat what you give them.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #5 
reaperss06

One thing I'm testing is look for the cleanest cup you can find. The last two that I had both had extremely dirty cups. Only one died from something that I'm unsure of, the other was unfortunately because of me.

So this time I actually tried two tactics, the cleanest cup and a different color, the color because maybe my first fish is jealous in the after life and keeps killing all blue fish.
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #6 
CataclysmKitten

i'm sorry to hear of your loss, I hope you find a solution soon. I think it could be that she was sick to begin with, really.
CataclysmKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #7 
doubleatheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
Most bettas you buy in these small cups are half starved to begin with and then couple that with the no water change for sometimes weeks on end, the stressful journeys they have been thru.
Then you take them home and offer them something they have never had before or doesn't appeal to them,
Your just prolonging their troubles by trying to force them to eat something they maybe are not use to or don't want,
When we are sick or don't feel well, Will we eat just anything? No

For that reason alone I always give any new bettas I get WHATEVER they will eat, It gives them strength, substance something to get the energy and will to survive,

Once they have actually eaten a few days or so in a row then maybe try feeding what you want them to eat.
I know maybe that's not possible for everyone,... But it sure does make a difference in your betta springing back quicker...

If she was active when you got her then she should have survived.
Parasites are sometimes a problem as well.
Yeah my guy refused everything but bloodworms the first few days. Now he will attack the plain old pellets, like he has been starved for weeks, yet I feed him twice a day.

Sorry about your loss OP, I would try a heater as others have suggested.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

None of mine have ever refused food when I first got them except Blue Bonnet but she ate micro pellets the second day I had her.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #9 
Bonzo

sorry for you loss.

Bonzo is a complete food slut, he will almost dance out of his tank when I sit next to him...darting...side to side..up and down...I think he feels he has to put on a show for food
Bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #10 
vaygirl

Whiskey didn't eat the first two days but he was also EXTREMELY skittish. Now he too is a big hog.

Sorry to hear about your fish. Sometimes they come to us with problems from the beginning.

Last edited by vaygirl; 03-20-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Typo and addition
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote