Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2010, 01:30 AM   #1 
akjadestar

Holes and big tears in fins!

Okay so I own the 3 gallon sized Aquaview 360 with an air pump and I ran the bubbler for half an hour only and then my betta Venus got a big rip down the middle of his caudal fin. So I gave him a teaspoon of aquarium salt and soon his big rip was mended but Venus still had really frayed fins that looked like they were gradually disappearing. I figured this must be fin rot and so as someone recommended on another forum I bought a bottle of Melafix and gave him half a teaspoon... he seemed okay at first so I left and came back and found Venus squirming around in his tank with his fins flared out, rare because they usually droop a bit. Then he was at times flipping a bit and swimming sideways, and I noticed his gills and around his face didn't look right. I knew something was wrong so I looked it up and found someone warning Melafix was bad for labyrinth fishes. Unfortunately I only heard good news and by the time I heard the bad news it was too late. So Venus was panicking and flaring for a while longer then he seemed to get calmer, I looked closer and realized he had an even bigger rip than before in his caudal fin, as well as a couple holes in his anal fin.... it's BAD.... I'm changing the water soon but after that how can I help him recover? And don't worry I'm definitely not giving him Melafix anymore!
Thanks.....
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:41 AM   #2 
Kittles

Are the edges of the fins discolored or darker? That could suggest a type of fin rot. Or maybe your fish could be a tail biter? For these, you might treat with Maracyn, but otherwise I'd just continue to provide clean water and salt baths and see if his condition approves.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:03 AM   #3 
Kittles

Also, improves. lol.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #4 
akjadestar

They're not darkened around the edges, and his fin tips are white so darnkness would be easy to spot. I plan on doing a full water change to get rid of any last traces of the medicine then I'll add some salt which was what helped him in the first place (:
I think he'll heal well, or at least I'm hopeful
Old 03-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Make daily 50% water changes for about 7-10 days, and vacuum only once during that time and then stay on top of 50% twice a week water changes with vacuum with only one of the twice weekly water changes to prevent and heal....fresh clean water is the best medication IMO/E, also what is the water temp.
Do you have decoration or fake plants in the tank with him, if so, have you done the pantyhose check on them? if they snag on pantyhose they will snag and tear his fins.
Aquarium salt 1tsp/gal can be a good treatment, however, long term salt can cause kidney damage and using the wrong dose/duration can cause resistant pathogens/parasites.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #6 
akjadestar

Thank you!
Well I just bought a new special water conditioner, NovAqua... It's not intended to be a medicine but I think it'll help my fish.
Since I'm using a new conditioner I'm doing a full water change today because I'm not sure about mixing different conditioners....

um just wondering, since some days I'm busy with ballet lessons, can I do 100% water change every 2 days instead of 50% everyday? that would be easier, so if it's okay...
and ummmm, I don't have a gravel vacuum... do I need one? If not I can buy one, if they're fairly cheap. Right now I only have like, $10....
And yeah I give him a teaspoon of aquarium salt for three gallons... should I do more? I'm thinking about giving a teaspoon a day... or is that too much

And the plants, I have silk plants with plastic stems but the plastic is very smooth and it's hard to snag fins on silk...
Ok well after today's full water change I'll try to go through with the daily changes.... I admit I can be kinda lazy with water changes sometimes, and also can be too busy....
thanks for the help!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

You can just use a clean cup that you use just for water changes, I mark on mine "fish only" and without a vacuum you can still clean the substrate or gravel, turn off the filter and just give the gravel a stir and get the gunk on the bottom moved into the water column and use the cup and dip out half the water, you can't get all the gunk and that is okay, you need some of it for the good bacteria to use as food, fill back up with fresh like temp dechlorinated water, turn the filter back on and it will settle and clear up in about an hour. Give the filter media a swish in the old tank water a couple of times a month or if the water flow has slowed, it will look dirty and that is what you want...this is good bacteria that helps your water stay fish safe.
By doing 100% water changes you are killing the cycle or good bacteria that help keep the water safe in between water changes and you are making it harder than you need to, with your busy schedule and tendency to skip water changes....
I would do 50% twice a week after you do a week of daily 50% water changes, also stop the aquarium salt for now, adding 1tsp/day you can kill the fish..... the only thing you need to add to your water is the dechlorinator, too much salt can cause harm to the fish..
Silk plant...perfect.....
Keep your water temp at a stable 78-80F
Old 03-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #8 
akjadestar

kkkkk, all sounds good.... well I already did a 100% change last night, which I think helped him cause now all the medicine's gone and I'm using a great new conditioner! He's been blowing bubble nests for a while! (: I'm happy that even though he's not recovered yet he's on his way and he seems really happy! I can hopefully maintain the whole water change thing, I find the hardest thing about it is transferring the fish... last night it took me almost a whole hour to get Venus out of his tank xDD
Old 03-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Don't remove him....I never remove my fish when I clean, no need.....IMHO/E
When you dip the water you need to be gentle and not disturb the fish very much, once they get used to the water change they usually will avoid the cup and tuck them self in a corner, it should only take 3-5 min or less to dip out half a 3 gal tank and re-fill....less stress on the fish if you leave him in the tank and why 50% is better than 100%.......