Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #1 
Jooleeah

Omg :(

I looked into the thank yesterday night and i realized that oli had turned a reddish brown colour, and his eye was half red (hes normally a bluey purple colour). i freaked and put him in the tank with the female in it (probably not the best idea cause he might have had some disease) and cleaned his tank. It was really really slimy and disgusting. I cleaned it out with really hot water. He got better after i put him in the tank with Tina and his colour came back. But this morning he was the same colour. Whats wrong?
Jooleeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Can you take a picture of him? What size is the tank he's in? Do you have a heater?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #3 
airen

Does either one have a heater, or are you using different water when you clean?? Try cleaning his tank with a cloth that has some white vinegar on it. It's a natural disinfectant. Rinse it out, and start again. Don't know what's wrong, but hopefully that helps :)
airen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #4 
Jooleeah

He has a heater and ill try to take a picture of him hes been hiding a lot lately. And all fish have the same water, with the same stuff in it, so idk.
Its really weird i looked all over the internet and it seems like theres nothing about this. It makes me feel like a bad fish mom:(

and p.s. the tank is like...smallish but i cant afford a proper sized one. that could be the issue, but ive been cleaning it out like every other day. its this http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...2&ab=fish_fc1d idk how much it holds but i know for a fact its not a gallon.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 03-06-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #5 
Kittles

I'm sorry I can't help with a diagnosis or remedy, but I thought I'd throw out a suggestion if you need a tank in a pinch. Of course there's always craiglist, but what I've had luck with in the past is a Goodwill store or Ross Dress for Less. They tend to have nice glassware selections with large pieces that could house a betta - more than likely something larger than what it's in presently if that happens to be the problem with your fish.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #6 
Jooleeah

I forgot to mention that he had black around his gills on his right side :( this is so sad im going to feel so bad if he dies..</3
Old 03-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #7 
BakaMandy

Alright lets go over the basics...

How long have you had him?
Because if you just recently got him, his colour could changes as he becomes more comfortable in his home. A happy healthy betta will be deep rich colours.
How often do water changes? Because for a tank that size, water changes should be done at least every 2-3 days.
Have you tested the water parameters of the water? Such as ammonia, nitrate, nitrite. You can take a sample of your water to a Petsmart and they can usually test it for free.
Finally, does he display any odd behavior? Like listlessness, heavy breathing, darting around, clamped fins, constantly hiding, etc. Those are usually signs of a sick betta.

Also... I would strongly NOT recommend a heater for that size of tank, it can EASILY overheat it and kill your fish if it's not calibrated properly. 80 degrees F or 25 degrees C is the BEST temperature you should keep a betta at. A little over or a little under is okay, but usually keep around that.

I'd also recommend you getting a bigger tank if possible. 2.5 gallons minimum. It's safer to put a heater in a tank that size than it is to put in a small one.

In any case, if you're still concerned, I'd recommend adding aquarium salt to his tank. About 1 tsp per gallon is good. Dissolve it first in treated water before SLOWLY adding it to his tank or else the salt crystals/the sudden change in the water could hurt him.

:3 Aquarium salt is a natural good ol' remedy that helps promote better health and offers a little defense against illnesses, simulates the natural production of a fish's slime coat, and will promote better gill function (which is good in the case he might have something like ammonia poisoning).
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #8 
veganchick

the tank you have him in costs more than a simple 2.5g plastic bowl which is only like 8 dollars
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #9 
Maryrox247

Hm...im not sure what exactly is wrong with him but if it helps if there is one thing that ive learned throughout the years raising my fish it is that... WATER TESTS TELL ALL!!!!! There is most likely something wrong with the water. As for the small tank.... You can probably purchase a bigger pladstic fish bowl at your local dollar store or go to a craft store ( not necessarily cheap but they have biigger bowls and vases you could put him in which are cheaper than at a pet store.) The best advice i can really give is: Get the water tested ASAP. Get him a bigger bowl or vase!! And be calm. Hope he gets well!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #10 
Jooleeah

Thanks everyone. Since i cleaned out the tank and stuff hes been very happy, so idk what happened. i got him a new tank but when i was filling it up it cracked on the bottom D:< so im going to get a new one this week. Hes been really really good lately though.