Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #1 
Kithy

Dogs and thundershirts?

Anyone else ever try these things for your anxious dog?

I found mine and stuck it on my younger pom and saw a huge change. Though I'm not sure I like it. He spends more time laying in his kennel, kinda like it depresses him. It does keep him from barking a lot though or snipping at my son. But he seems like a whole different dog and I don't know if I like it :<
Kithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #2 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

My bf has a Shellie who is afraid of thunder. He used to bark and run around and tackle/trample his owners so they would have to carry him around and pet him like a monkey. The thunder shirt worked but he still demands cuddles
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #3 
Kithy

Awww, poor baby!!

My dog is just high anxiety anyway. The other pom I have grew up with my son so he's kinda just whatever around him. But the people we got the younger one from didn't have kids so he's trying to adjust as best he can but gets nervous easily. It definitely helps him feel secure but he just seems so reserved when it's on... it makes me sad.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #4 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Maybe you can try just getting him a doggy sweater, something not so tight
Old 05-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #5 
Kithy

I'll give it a try ^^ He looks good in pink xD
Old 05-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #6 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

So sassy
But maybe it's just too heavy or tight. My aunt has a miniature promeranian (aka a flouffball) and it has to wear a coat. Take the coat off and you see her fur is supposed to be white but she runs around so much her paws and face are cream/beige
Old 05-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #7 
Sathori

I wouldn't say that it "depresses" him. He probably recognizes the kennel as a safe, resting place and chose to go there because the thundershirt would have been causing him to relax a bit more.

The thundershirts apply gentle pressure on certain pressure points on the dog's body, and it causes the dog to feel secure and more relaxed. I know I have customers telling me their tiny, little dogs won't stop shaking without their thundershirt, and I have used it on my dog when travelling in the car. It makes her not want to claw her way under the seats.
I was talking to a groomer about it, and she knows how to use the T-Touch on dogs, and she says the thundershirt has a very similar effect. It just helps relax the brain, and allow the dog to assess situations better than just reacting in fear.

So I wouldn't be concerned about him laying in the kennel - dogs tend to sleep most of the day anyways when they are feeling relaxed and secure, and the kennel is likely where he feels safest. If he's nipping at your son, he's likely insecure around him (children tend to be unpredictable in their actions, and it tends to freak small dogs out), so the kennel is probably a place he knows that he won't be bothered, and he went there with the shirt on because he was feeling a bit more relaxed and wanted a quiet place to relax.
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #8 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathori View Post
I wouldn't say that it "depresses" him. He probably recognizes the kennel as a safe, resting place and chose to go there because the thundershirt would have been causing him to relax a bit more.

The thundershirts apply gentle pressure on certain pressure points on the dog's body, and it causes the dog to feel secure and more relaxed. I know I have customers telling me their tiny, little dogs won't stop shaking without their thundershirt, and I have used it on my dog when travelling in the car. It makes her not want to claw her way under the seats.
I was talking to a groomer about it, and she knows how to use the T-Touch on dogs, and she says the thundershirt has a very similar effect. It just helps relax the brain, and allow the dog to assess situations better than just reacting in fear.

So I wouldn't be concerned about him laying in the kennel - dogs tend to sleep most of the day anyways when they are feeling relaxed and secure, and the kennel is likely where he feels safest. If he's nipping at your son, he's likely insecure around him (children tend to be unpredictable in their actions, and it tends to freak small dogs out), so the kennel is probably a place he knows that he won't be bothered, and he went there with the shirt on because he was feeling a bit more relaxed and wanted a quiet place to relax.
He's warmed up to having it on a bit more now. It's had such a drastic impact on how little I have to be angry with him I don't like taking it off.

He has a lot of issues unfortunately but we can work around them. My son is an incredibly rambunctious four year old that cant ever stop moving so I know it makes the dog very nervous. I don't think Meeko was ever around children before we got him last year. Most of the dogs issues are things I need to work with my kid about, not so much the dog.

Does anyone have any idea why he growls/bites when someone accidently touches him at night? He likes to sleep right by me in bed but sometimes my husband will try to wrap his arm around me and he bumps the dog's leg or something and the dog just FREAKS out, bites aren't uncommon. It's really frustrating. This happens even with the shirt on.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

Have you considered speaking to a professional trainer or behaviourist?

I just worry because you mention bites not being uncommon and this dog snipping at your son. It might be worth it to bring in someone with the experience to work out a plan of action with you. These sorts of issues can escalate and sometimes they aren't issues the average pet owner can work out on their own.

Sometimes medication may also be needed if your dog is particularly anxious/fearful just to take the edge off and allow you to reshape their behaviours.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #10 
taquitos

Hey I have a pom named Meeko too!

Thundershirts help calm dogs. I don't think it is making him depressed :)

Some dogs don't like being woken up, much like people who are grumpy when they are woken up. I would suggest training him to sleep in his crate.

How long have you had him? It might also just be that he isn't used to being moved, etc.
taquitos is offline   Reply With Quote