Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #11 
Kithy

We have considered it but I'm not sure how he'd do in a training session that wasn't him alone. We took Nanaki to puppy classes two years ago when he was just losing his fur and he did well. We brought Meeko into a Petco once and there were three VERY large dogs on the other end of the store and he flipped and just barked. Nanaki on the other hand usually takes a very submissive stance around other dogs, even smaller ones. Neither pay any attention to the cats we have though, Meeko is actually scared of most of them.

We got Meeko last year on Mothers day.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

I do think there are trainers/behaviourists out there that work one-on-one with dogs, as I imagine this would have to be the case with dogs that are severely dog aggressive.

If he has anxiety/fear issues I certainly would not be taking him to a class where these are likely to be made worse.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend anyone as I am in Australia. However, owning a dog that can be a little uncertain of temperament and who I suspect could bite if anxious enough, I would suggest going with a trainer that uses positive reinforcement.

Haha we have three German Shepherds and all of them are petrified of the cats. Cats are like chainsaws with fur.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:50 PM   #13 
Kithy

I think I'll give Nanaki's trainer a call soon, I know she did one on one sessions. My husband feels that yelling and spanking an animal is a better way to "train" them but I feel that will only make the aggression and anxiety worse. I love positive reinforcement though :3

It's so funny to see dogs run away from the cats! The other night we had them in the living room and one of the cats touched Meeko and he barked and RAN to the other side of the room.

We just got some kittens (MiL couldn't resist) so trying to ease mine to the dog noise. When she's bigger we'll work on proper introductions but she is so tiiiiny.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #14 
taquitos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
I think I'll give Nanaki's trainer a call soon, I know she did one on one sessions. My husband feels that yelling and spanking an animal is a better way to "train" them but I feel that will only make the aggression and anxiety worse. I love positive reinforcement though :3

It's so funny to see dogs run away from the cats! The other night we had them in the living room and one of the cats touched Meeko and he barked and RAN to the other side of the room.

We just got some kittens (MiL couldn't resist) so trying to ease mine to the dog noise. When she's bigger we'll work on proper introductions but she is so tiiiiny.
Yes punishment based training will definitely increase anxiety and aggression. They work on the principle of suppressing unwanted behavior instead of modifying or replacing the unwanted behavior. Definitely no yelling or spanking!

I would definitely look into hiring a trainer who is certified via the Association of Pet Dog Trainers. Do *not* go with any trainer that will use dominance, choke chains, or e-collars. You could also look up Karen Pryor Academy certified trainers in your area as well.

My Meeko is a mill rescue, so he was fearful of a lot of things when I first adopted him. I use purely positive methods (mostly clicker training). I've had him about a year and a half now, and he's a much more confident dog!

If your dog is nervous around your child, I would probably start rewarding him for being in the presence of your child, but not push him to interact with him just yet. I would probably start off by dropping him yummy high reward treats (like cheese or cooked meat) when he is in the presence of your kid.

Also look up the Look At That game. It's a great way to modify behavior and create a positive association with something that is negative. I use this method for my fosters with fear based aggression/reactivity. It works very well :)
taquitos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #15 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taquitos View Post
Yes punishment based training will definitely increase anxiety and aggression. They work on the principle of suppressing unwanted behavior instead of modifying or replacing the unwanted behavior. Definitely no yelling or spanking!

I would definitely look into hiring a trainer who is certified via the Association of Pet Dog Trainers. Do *not* go with any trainer that will use dominance, choke chains, or e-collars. You could also look up Karen Pryor Academy certified trainers in your area as well.

My Meeko is a mill rescue, so he was fearful of a lot of things when I first adopted him. I use purely positive methods (mostly clicker training). I've had him about a year and a half now, and he's a much more confident dog!

If your dog is nervous around your child, I would probably start rewarding him for being in the presence of your child, but not push him to interact with him just yet. I would probably start off by dropping him yummy high reward treats (like cheese or cooked meat) when he is in the presence of your kid.

Also look up the Look At That game. It's a great way to modify behavior and create a positive association with something that is negative. I use this method for my fosters with fear based aggression/reactivity. It works very well :)
Thanks very much, I will definitely give it a try!

Seems like it's much easier to train a dog than a child xD
Old 05-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #16 
taquitos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
Thanks very much, I will definitely give it a try!

Seems like it's much easier to train a dog than a child xD
Lol it for sure is!

Very hard for a child to control himself :P
Old 05-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #17 
Kithy

Yeah he takes great pride in deliberately disobeying me. Oh, time outs are such fun.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #18 
Taylor9424

We use a thundershirt for our 3 year old pitbull who is a complete baby! She freaks out about thunder, rain, fireworks-- pretty much anything that makes a loud noise! I do notice that she calms slightly with her thundershirt, but she still needs constant attention. Not sure if it actually helps her or not
Taylor9424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #19 
Islandgaliam

After seeing this post, and since it is Mason's Birthday, we just ordered one in polo green..we will see how it does for him...and hopefully the trainer on the island here will have time for us in the next week or so too.
Islandgaliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #20 
taquitos

Yeah best results with the Thundershirt happen when you train WITH the shirt as well.

Please realize it is not a miracle cure!! You have to make the shirt a "positive" thing first, and then work on desensitizing along with using it as a tool for helping calm the dog down.