Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #1 
azjen

Algae/ADF/Fin rot question

I have a couple of questions that I think may all be related so I will ask them all here.

I have a 10 gallon with one king betta and ADF. Filter yes, heater yes. I change about 33 percent of water once a week and put Prime in it. About two weeks ago I did 100% water change because I had algae and had to turn the filter off for a few days because I thought I had a leak in tank.

Questions:
1. Since adding the ADF about 2 months ago, I am having algae issues. In fact, I just changed 100 percent of water can cleaned a lot in there to try to get rid of it. Is the algae caused by having the ADF in there? Basically my castle has all this brown on it as well as some of my silk plants. How should I address the algae?

2. First my king had at first a pin sized hole in his back fin, now it is a rip. Could that be the start of fin rot? He also has some white dots on his side. Almost like little bump- maybe six little tiny pin sized ones. I would normally throw salt in there but now that I have the ADF in there, I can't right? Do I need to do some salt baths for him? I also have Melafix on hand but I am thinking not to do anything with that until I try the salt. He is eating and moving around like normal.

Any feedback, ideas on this are appreciated..

Jennine
azjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Do you have water pram numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH

What kind of algae?

As for the Betta fins, I would start doing daily water changes, IMO, fresh, clean water is the best medication.....
Also, is your filter working now, if not, you may want to make 50% water changes every 3-4 days on a regular basis and make sure you remove any uneaten food.
If the filter is working now I would increase your water changes to 50% weekly with good vacuum of the substrate, IMO-100% water changes in a 10g tank will not prevent algae problems.
Do you have live plants and what is your photo period and age of your light bulbs and how long has the tank been set up
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:13 AM   #3 
azjen

The algae is brown. Don't know much else. I will take the water in to be tested tomorrow. I have the strips to test it but I don't find them particularly helpful.

Filter is working now. It is a Whisper

No live plants.

I did not even know what "photo period" was but just looked it up and that is what I think the problem may be. I have LED lights on it and we have not been good about turning them off. I did not know that you should only have lights on the tank no more than 10 hours a day (according to the web). I will make that change... thanks!

I will also change the water more and watch his fins...

thanks for the help.. hopefully I will get King Apiah (betta) and Frosty the Frogman (ADF) and their home fixed up better!

Jennine
Old 03-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #4 
Hadouken441

Is it brown fuzzy algae? Thats Brown bearded. But if it is slimy brown you have a problem. Slimy algae is bacteria and is caused because of overfeeding and not cleaning your tank well enough. Sure you can change out 1/3 of the water but there may be somethine else that your overlooking. Overfeeding, not cleaning your filter canister, left over food and waste on ground or in decorations. Also having nitrates at too low of a level. I dont know why people aim for 0 nitrates i think its stupid.

But thats just if its bacterica algae (cyanobacteria). If its just bearded algae, you cut scrub it off or get a SIAMESE (not chinese) algae eater.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

You don't want 0ppm nitrate, correct, you also don't want nitrate over 30ppm either

BGA or cyanobacteria-usually forms sheets that are thick and greasy and smell bad, it covers most everything fast, usually it is blue green in color and it can be toxic to livestock, after removing manually increase water flow, black out for 4 days, increase NO3 to10-20ppm , after the black out vacuum really good again, process may need to be repeated a couple of time, also treatment with Erythromycin phosphate will kill it along with the good bacteria and without really good, large, frequent water changes the tank can crash...so last resort method IMO
Best to prevent with with regular water changes and removing uneaten food, not over feeding...etc.....
I think your problem is diatom from a new tank set up and resolve with time and good husbandry practiced.
Photo period, yes, this is the amount of time the lights are on and leaving them on 24h a day will cause problems, unplanted tank 8-10h and planted tank 10-12h

Would love to see pics of your betta and ADF as well as your set up.....
Old 03-24-2010, 12:23 AM   #6 
azjen

The algae comes off easily, pretty much with water. Some is on the back of the tank also. I could be overfeeding in my fear to make sure the ADF eats. I give some flakes to the fish and a two pellets of a sinking pellet for the ADF.

I will go and have the water tested in a few days. I cleaned the castle off, did a partial water change and we are turning the light off for a chunk of the day also.

Thank you so much for the help, I love this forum!
Old 03-24-2010, 02:38 AM   #7 
Hadouken441

Does it come off in a piece of slime? Sounds like cyanobacteria. No point in getting water tested sorry. I would just start getting rid of it.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

If it is brown in color you don't have cyano....
Cyanobacteria or BGA-it will be a blue green slimy sheet that covers everything in the tank pretty fast.......as posted earlier...
Old 03-24-2010, 11:53 PM   #9 
Hadouken441

Cyano comes in all colors it just most common as blue green :D Its even been known to be red