Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #1 
vaygirl

Whiskey still has bloody fins, any advice?

I'm kinda at a loss. After seeing no results with salt, I treated him with Maracyn Plus for two runs. He no longer has the bigger blood streaks in his anal fin. Just one small one, so there's progress there. The bloody streaks in his dorsal haven't diminished at all and in fact, look a little bigger, thicker. All the tissue is still there it's just very very transparent in between rays and on the skin between three of the rays, these long thick red blood streaks at the ends.

His water is fine. I had that one ammonia spike (.5) and since then it's been nothing. The nitrates never go higher then 5. The blue green algae in the tank is gone thanks to aggressive light control. So what should I do now? I'm thinking of isolating him in a critter keeper and trying a run of Maracyn 1 and 2. He's been like this for almost a month now. Other then the streaks, he seems okay. He's eating and he's active. I got two good images... if anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it. The first image shows how deep and red the streaks have become and the second is to show how transparent they are.

vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #2 
vaygirl

I'm adding to this thread in case anyone has the same symptoms. I got a diagnosis of red pest from the tropical fish disease forum here. I treated with Furan 2 but I see no change. I'm soon moving on to Tetracycline treated food if he goes a few more days with no change.

I've read in several places that this is a hard thing to get rid of because it's an internal bacteria and internal meds are sometimes the only thing that works in far gone cases. He's had this for over a month now so I think that's far gone. Think good thoughts for Whiskey!
Old 03-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I hope the medication works for him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #4 
vaygirl

Thanks Drama. I don't wanna lose him. He's such a big part of my day here on my desk. I wuv him!
Old 03-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

He's beautiful, too!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #6 
kuklachica

Can you post the post where you got this information? I have a guy who gets red streaks if there is even a touch of ammonia in his water... and I am wondering if he has the same thing. Thanks!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #7 
vaygirl

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/t...ticemia-38856/

Here's the post. He's been treated with salt, maracyn plus (two courses) and now Furan 2 (one course). Seperately of course, not all at once. The red streaks have been consistant in between three of his rays. Now he has new ones in another spot on his dorsal and two new streaks on his anal fin. Poor guy.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #8 
Kitch3ntools

i hope the medicated food helps hes absolutely stunning
Kitch3ntools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #9 
doggyhog

Clypso was having some trouble with bloody/rotting fins after a heater malfunction. I stuck him in a 1/2 gallon for a while with some Maracyn 2 and he's healing up. I dunno, you might want to give it a try. Make sure you do VERY often water changes....for obvious reasons...
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #10 
kelly528

Wait... the antibiotics that you're treating him with-- do they claim to treat gram positive or gram negative bacteria? For systeming (internal infections) you need a gram-negative antibiotic. Anything gram-positive (anything claiming to treat columnaris is usually gram positive) simply won't work on internal infections.

I also suggest you medicate his food by making a gel food with his antibiotics. Very good resuts can be obtained with medicated food.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote