Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #1 
Betta4lyfe

Question New to Betta

Ok so im New to Betta... and would currently like to know the following...

HEALTH

So im really nervous my Betta wont like the conditions in my tank i have done as much research as i can possibly at the moment and im still really nervous
The pH in my tank should currently be 7.0 and everything else seeems to be normal The tank size is 20 gallons and I have got approximatly 5 plastic plants and two decorations i would love to get real plants but most are expensive.
I am currently using Gravel and larger stones. If anyone could give me advice It would be Appreciated GREATLY! I am using a heater and light built into the top lid , also a filteration system. The temp is about betwwen 74 -80 degrees in the tank and IM SOOOOO NERVOUS!

BETTA

Im Really afraid the betta i'll buy will be sick when i buy it
so if anyone could tell me what to look for when buying a Betta , I would loooovvvee that!

CHANGING THE WATER

alright so i dont even have the slightest idea on when to change the water! im getting the fish on the 24th of March thats two days from now and am in total stress! it's a brand new tank heater filter and everything and i have no idea what to do!!
dum da da dum da dum!
I think everything else im okay with i just need to know when i get the betta he wont die i'll be at school during the day so i could feed him in the morning or after school...OH and one more thing im going to try some tetra's with the betta and see how that works out and if it doesent?
Betta4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #2 
Betta4lyfe

I could also post pics of the tank as well if thatll help at all
Old 03-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #3 
xxabc

Health
20 gallons?? That's huge! But good for you lol :)
Plastic can cut fins very easily, sooner or later! So be careful on that. Also, I don't think 5 is enough. Bettas like crowding with plants, hidey places, but more importantly no huge open space. Gives sense of security. Stresses less as well. Try getting silk and/or live plants.

And the temperature - That range is pretty big. It should be 77-80F, but not fluctuating! (Like 80 in the morning, drop down to 77 at night, every day). And be careful with the filter - is it a Hang-On-Back (HOB)? A sponge? If it's HOB, cover the intake tube to prevent ripping. If it's sponge, I wouldn't worry about it, sponge filters are better for bettas, but HOB's are still popular anyways :)

Betta
Chances are he'll be sick when you get him. Look for bettas with NICE COLOR, UNCLAMPED FINS, SWIMMING AROUND/FLARING (although this is only found in a brand new row of bettas).

Changing the water
Well if it's really 20 gallons and that's not a typo, I'm not for sure. I only work with 5 gallons, lol. I do 50% weekly, and it's cycled. At first, when you're cycling, you probably have to do it every couple days or so. But I'm really not that sure on your size.

I'm not good on tankmates, wait for someone else! And pictures would be great :)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #4 
Betta4lyfe

Thanks a bunch yeah its definatly 20 gallons and im new to fish all together so im not 100 hundred % sure on the filter but it hangs down into the tank...so thats probabally what your talking about the heater and filter came with tank...and my parents would be too cheap on getting a new one noo matter how much i beg are they expesive? Lol and most of the fish at the pet stores around here are really bad they sell the betta in reall small cups and dont change the water but there is an aquarium store near by that i could probably order one in im thinking i want a halfmoon...wadda yah think? and for plants im really trying to ask them for more plants but do you think they will listen? noooooo... they arent very big on spending money (what parent is?) and they said that will buy it gradually wich will really suck for my betta so i'm saving up my money so far i have about 25$ saved up ont bad i guess but i'm going to need alot more then that although they are selling some live java fern at the pet store near by for pretty cheap. i just want my betta to feel happy! oh and by the way for the heater the temp is pre set and my thermometer is digital so it shows me around the temp like for example it will light up at about...76(yellowish green) and then it will light up at 78 as a light faded red... im not sure 100% on the exact temp but i got the temp wrong on the first post )= sooryy
Old 03-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #5 
xxabc

Ask others on good tankmates (and you know you can't put male bettas together, right?) You COULD make a female betta sorority, but I would save that until you're muuuuch more experienced witih bettas.

Yup, that's a HOB, so cover the intake tube (where the water is sucked into) with something, like floss or sponge.

I totally get the parent-story. I've saved over $100 for my bettas, so I'm kind-of okay with spending...it's just I can't buy online, nor drive myself to a store so it's a waaaaaste, haha.

I hear java fern is a GREAT beginner plant. But never had it before, haha.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #6 
Betta4lyfe

Thanks a bunch i bought a live plant today actually it was pretty cheap about 11 dollars i also got some gold tetra and they seem to be getting along although the tetra dont move at all and stay in their school its been like this 4 about and hour in a half and all the betta wants to do is hide!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #7 
xxabc

$11 is cheap to you?? Haha, I must be cheap then...

If it's doing that, yo umay have to do something with the tetras.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #8 
Betta4lyfe

ha ha i would say 11 dollars is cheap but only compared to the other plants i figured it was pretty big and would grow fast so i thought it would be a good plant to use i'm just thinking i need more i have like -20 dollars at the moment considering my parents even made me pay for just about everything except i only payed half for the tank and stand...lol but as for the tetra's they seem like they don't mind the Betta which i have named king appropriately (ha ha only cause he's a crowntail) lol and King comes out more but the tetra just stay in one spot.
But king doesn't seem to care when i show him his reflection doesn't flare or anything he even runs from it sometimes and other times he just sits there and watches it
Old 03-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #9 
xxabc

Are his colors fine? I'm not sure if thats okay for not, but my bettas are active little critters. If I don't see them swimming, SOMETHING is wrong. It may be different for your betta, so just watch. Sorry for not so good advice
Old 03-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #10 
Betta4lyfe

nah thats okay he seems to be flaring more now, infact he flares at almost everything now when ipress my fingernail to the glass he flares then paces back and for then when i move it he starts to swim around actually i tried to take pictures like i said i was going to and i ended up using the last bit of the battery so ill have to charge it soon so i can upload the pics Thanks! Ill try and upload them here (= Oh and he is starting to brighten up his colors seem a lot brighter then when i got him. and one more thing he seemed very hungry when i got him today i fed him 4 pellets and yesterday 3 is that to much he doesn't seem to be getting full im checking him often and he doesn't look bloated or even close
Any suggestions?

Last edited by Betta4lyfe; 03-26-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Tags
betta, newb, newbie