Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #1 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Angry VERY frustrated Betta owner, please help =[

Today i traveled to another city to a mom and pop pet store that i was "told" was a great place for fish supplies/betta fish and the people their where very "knowledgeable"..I purchased 2 beautiful dark blue male crown tails. Each got its own 1gal habit with water that had been sitting and already had the proper conditioners to make it safe for em. I am not new to this, keep that in mind haha. Each habit has a couple baby apple snails ( again i have done this before). I let the bags float in the water to adjust to the temp for a bit and then i let them free! They where happy and swimming about! I tried to feed em, but they did not eat. So i thought nothing of it. I noticed one of em had grayish looking eyes, but again did not really think twice about it since he was so active and healthy "looking". I go out for a couple hours and come back only to come home to a dead betta!! :( :( :( i was like are you flippin serious?? The one that had the grayish eyes was stiff as a board at the bottom :( I tested the water levels and everything was perfect! I do not know what went wrong. I inspected his body and went done the check list of things to look for. EVERYTHING checked out except for those gray eyes The other fish is still alive, but has yet to eat and his water levels are also fine and he "looks" fine and healthy, but i feel he could also be a goner, i just have had that luck with bettas... Anyone have any idea why that other beautiful betta died in such a short time frame? i have never had one die on me like that other than a couple from old age :( i am pretty bummed and have about had it with pet stores and betta fish for that matter
WuGolfer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #2 
Sella

I am by far not an expert, but my guess would be they weren't healthy to begin with and the travel/new environment put them over the top.
I'm so sorry.
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #3 
Sella

Also, considering you just got the fish today I'd take his little body back to the store and get a refund/new fish.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #4 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Red face

how would traveling kill em? How else do we get bettas to our homes? :( i only traveled around 20 mins each way. I have traveled further than that b4. I just do not get it. I feel like such a retard. Betta fish really NOT that hard to take care of in comparison to other fish. I have owned tropical salt water fish and never had this kind of luck that i am having with bettas :(. I just can not believe he died so fast :(
Old 03-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #5 
xxabc

Could it be cataracts? Did he look old, at ALL? Even remotely? Grown out, nice long tail?
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:32 PM   #6 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
Could it be cataracts? Did he look old, at ALL? Even remotely? Grown out, nice long tail?

He was the biggest betta fish i have ever seen and he had long, beautiful fins and a good sized tail. He was an awesome looking fish that i wish i would have had under my care longer than just a few hours :(
Old 03-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry for your loss.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #8 
Sella

I ment stress from travelling.. Stress from being sloshed around in a cup/baggie, maybe a temperature fluctuation, I don't know, I was just putting it out there.

And you shouldn't feel like a retard! You did everything great!

Last edited by dramaqueen; 03-22-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #9 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sella View Post
I ment stress from travelling.. Stress from being sloshed around in a cup/baggie, maybe a temperature fluctuation, I don't know, I was just putting it out there.
How else do we get em home? I mean all we get from pet stores, well where i live anyways, are baggies or cups :( how do you transport a betta home other than those ways? at this point, i will try anything to stop from spending so much time to get a betta and get settled in its new home, only for it to die a few hours later :(
Old 03-23-2010, 12:19 AM   #10 
Jupiter

Was the water heated? And what do you mean by grey eyes? Do you mean that they were foggy?

But if a betta was sick to begin with, the stress of moving and being put into a new home could be fatal.

Just as a side note, most people recommend at least 2.5 gallons per betta. 1 gallon is definitely not enoguh for a betta and a few snails.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote