betta fish

Old 03-23-2010, 12:40 AM   #11 
truthequalslies

maybe he had cloudy eye? never heard of a fish dying from it though

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/t...diseases-8179/
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:21 AM   #12 
xxabc

Usually cloudy eye came from...something. I know old age was one, but it's possible it could come from other things, which is why I was curious if it was cloudy eye / cataracts or not. If he was big, he...could have been old? Or perhaps just part giant. Were his colors nice? Or not too shabby?

I'm actually quite good on holding my bettas well - except I don't drive, so...
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #13 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
Usually cloudy eye came from...something. I know old age was one, but it's possible it could come from other things, which is why I was curious if it was cloudy eye / cataracts or not. If he was big, he...could have been old? Or perhaps just part giant. Were his colors nice? Or not too shabby?

I'm actually quite good on holding my bettas well - except I don't drive, so...
His eyes where VERY cloudy and his colors where bright and beautiful that's what caught my eye when I first saw him :( why am I being told 1 gal habitat is not enough for ONE betta when every where else i have researched and ppl I have tlked to ALL said 1 gal for every 1 inch. 1 gal is plenty of room for one betta.
WuGolfer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #14 
xxabc

He may have been infected with something, I'm not sure how to put it though. Never dealt with cloudy eye before, so.... yeah

IMO, 1 gallon is not enough for a betta as a permanent home. Ammonia builds up too quickly to maintain a nice home. And physically it's not that good either. They have more trouble turning around and such, with their tails. And because of their fancy tails, they deserve more room to freely swim. So I prefer 5 gallons, but 2.5gal easily makes a better home. Just my 2 cents.

However, many breeders use homes smaller than 1 gallon, but that's becaause they understand how it works. They know about the diseases, the ammonia, the everything, so they're experienced enough to make it work. And usually the less than 1 gallon is not their home, either. The difference from a pet store is that the water is MUCH much cleaner. So much cleaner. Especially those ewith drip- ______ (I forgot the word...)

And 1 inch per 1 gal is ONLY a very, very, VERY basic rule of thumb for new aquarium owners. As soon as one gets more experienced, you'll see why it doesn't work that way entirely. (A 10 inch fish in a 10 gal? I don't think so!). So really it's based on their bioload. You could have a dozen shrimp in a 1 gal, because their bioload is ridiculous! It's so small, it'll work out fine. They're not big on space either, and can work with little space. With water changes, of course, since they're picky about water.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #15 
BerkB33

Sure doesn't sound like anything you did! Do you know the water parameters of the LFS? Did they use RO water and you use tap water...or visa versa? What was the fish "in" while residing at the LFS? Plastic cup? Aquarium? I'm no betta expert...but he sounds like "damaged goods" b4 you took ownership...and the stress of "moving" finished him. Sorry for your loss.
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #16 
xxabc

(Sorry, but what is "RO"?)
Old 03-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #17 
vaygirl

Reverse osmosis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_osmosis
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #18 
BerkB33

RO stands for Reverse Osmosis. It's simply a process where ALL hardness and minerals are removed from the water using extremely high pressure to "push" the water through a membrane, thereby "super" filtering the water. The pet shops in my area use RO water in most all their tanks. Granted, specific minerals must be added, in the correct amounts, so the tanks inhabitants have the "proper" minerals to remain healthy, however the metals and unwanted molecules are removed. hopefully that's an understandable explanation....
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #19 
xxabc

Oh okay. And yes, I have decent understanding of it, don't worry. But yours made sense :)
Old 03-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #20 
WuGolfer07
Banned

thank you everyone for all the info
WuGolfer07 is offline   Reply With Quote